• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Discussion: Music and Life

Share/Bookmark

Discussion: Music and Life

I thought I would share this video of a masterful talk by Benjamin Zander dealing with music and life and possibility and passion. It's inspiring.

Here is the link to the video.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/b...d_passion.html

Watching the video invokes the question of why we got into music in the first place. Sometimes other stuff gets in the way and we loose that vision, passion and purpose.

I like Zander's discussion of role the conductor as to waken possibility in other people. Zander asks who are we being and how many eyes are you (or ears) are you causing to shine?

Most of us here have a passion for music. It is something we all share with each other and moves us all. Hope you enjoy the video and let's discuss some of the points Zander makes.

What drove you to music in the first place and are you as passionate for music as you've always been?

Best,

Gary

Re: Discussion: Music and Life

I've always loved music since I can remember. When I would go to church, I always wanted to go up in the balcony where the organist was. I remember when I was 5-6 years old putting a bunch of pieces of paper together and then drew a couple keyboards on them. Then I would pretend I was playing the organ. Unfortunately, my parents didn't have the money to afford either a piano or organ until I was in 7th grade. They purchased an organ and were amazed that I could play it the 1st day on my own. I probably played a dozen songs that came in an organ course that day.

Jim

Thanks for posting this Gary,

The part that touched me the most was when Benjamin talked about the man who never shed a tear over his brother's death, until he was thinking of him while listening to the piano music being played. He said it fealt good to cry.

I think I am quite different than most of the members here.... in that I don't play a musical instrument. As a small child, I grew up sitting behind my Mom playing organ and piano in church. My Dad was a tenor in the choir and often sang solos. Music was all around me as a child. I believe that God gives all of us different gifts. It is apparent to me by now that I am supposed to be a recording/mix engineer. That is my gift, and gifts are to be given away.

Sadly though,,, as I listen to music that gets to the root of my soul, I am moved beyond words. A sad part of my life, is that I will never experience what it is like to professionally play a musical instrument like piano, at least not like I do the knobs on my recording and sound equipment.

I know what it is like to be running sound in a concert, and have the entire audience in the palm of MY hand. I realized a long time ago that it is not the applause that I want, but the satisfaction of knowing how much of an impact I had on the performance. And, that's enough.

Often, we hear someone talking about "the meaning of life"...

what is that anyway?.....

I know what it is,,,,,

Realize that you have a gift,
    recognize where it came from,
    and thank them (for me that is God) by doing your very best to share everything you can about what you have learned or taught yourself. That way, when you are no longer on this Earth, the fingerprints of the good things you have done will be permanently etched into the minds and hearts of those you touched.

A sentimental Saturday Dan.

What a fantastic talk!

I have a brother, twelve months younger, who is a scientific genius with an award winning PhD in chemistry - now a school teacher, but I digress.

I always wanted to play the piano and had the opportunity to live with a piano teacher when I was nine. That was really the beginning for me. Years later my brother, who was always being compared to me at school, was allowed to do guitar lessons as a means of allowing him an independent path out of my shadow. I watched his first lesson from a distance and watched the frustration he and his teacher had with his progress. I went up to the shops to run an errand, came back and picked up the guitar while his teacher was about to leave. I did everything he had shown my brother and immediately his focus was drawn to me with excitement. It was the end of the road for my brother, but the beginning of a road for me. I now play classical guitar (or did - I haven't played much for a long while).

Garritan's orchestra opened a world of possibilities for me - I had written many songs, but for the first time, here was a vehicle I could use to get the music out of my head and into the ether! What a powerful concept!

My musical passion is growing more and more everyday. I have spent a large part of my free time in the last year self-studying orchestration and various other aspects of musical theory and composition. My appreciation for the masters keeps growing. Oh for more time!

For the record, my brother and I are best mates. He introduced me to Cakewalk's products - I didn't know such a thing existed. Eventually I purchased Dimension Pro and received the Garritan Pocket Orchestra as part of that and that led me to the full Garritan Personal Orchestra, and now many other products from Garritan.

Music is in the DNA. You have it or you don't. If you don't nothing happens. If you do have it, then you are lost. Completely lost for the rest of your live. You my try to hide it, to forget it, but it comes to surface at unexpected moments. Then you have to consult your local Concerthall, grab that guitar and play, or anything, as long as it makes music as a reflection of your feelings. You can't help it, it just happens and nobody can stop that nasty urge.

Luckily most of us humans have that DNA. I thank God that he'd put it in mine. At the other hand, when you don't have it, you never miss it. So who is happier? The one with it or the one without it?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Music is in the DNA. You have it or you don't. If you don't nothing happens. If you do have it, then you are lost. Completely lost for the rest of your live. You my try to hide it, to forget it, but it comes to surface at unexpected moments. Then you have to consult your local Concerthall, grab that guitar and play, or anything, as long as it makes music as a reflection of your feelings. You can't help it, it just happens and nobody can stop that nasty urge.

Luckily most of us humans have that DNA. I thank God that he'd put it in mine. At the other hand, when you don't have it, you never miss it. So who is happier? The one with it or the one without it?

Raymond
    I think, not only talent but even limitations are God's gifts. Too versatile personalities are usually the least successful in real life. It is because of they miss the limitations they show the way to go in real life, at best.
    Petr Pololanik, M.A.
    Conductor, Orchestrator, Music Producer
    Capellen Music Production

Quote Originally Posted by capellen View Post
    I think, not only talent but even limitations are God's gifts. Too versatile personalities are usually the least successful in real life. It is because of they miss the limitations they show the way to go in real life, at best.
    Aha, a philosopher.....

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    At the other hand, when you don't have it, you never miss it. So who is happier? The one with it or the one without it?

Raymond
    I like that observation Raymond
    Dan

"...even limitations are God's gifts." - Capellen

Well, then God has been very generous to me.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Very touching video, indeed. I absolutely admire his "one-button" approach to music. The idea of a song progressing intent on that one final note is absolutely inspiring, and really changes the way I think of music. I find it difficult to believe that something like this never occured to me before because it's such a simple idea, yet so powerful.

Then, when I thought about what got me into actually composing music, it made sense. Though it may not be as glamorous and emotional as Chopin, a song that I performed in 6th grade band did it for me. Every time we played it from start to finish, even though it was such a simple piece, a slow chill went up my spine because of the progressive build that was developed through the entire song. I'd been listening and playing music my entire life, but I'd never actually considered it more than entertainment until I'd played that song. Now I strive to recreate that chill by listening to music, and by creating it, and it is my utmost dream to create that chill in someone else. Whether or not I've accomplished that, I don't know, but if I have, once is never enough!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum