• Register
  • Help

Topic: steinway sustain time

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy steinway sustain time

I have the intermediate version and cannot seem to achieve adequate sustain times. My controller is a Kawai MP9500 (great keyboard for the touch). On this keyboard, with the onboard sounds, I can vary the sustain times. For example, on a note in the 5th octave, I get approximately 3 times(!) longer sustain with the voice that resides in the MP9500 (more similar to a true grand piano) than I can with the Garritan Steinway. Is there a way to increase the sustain time in the Garritan Steinway? This is a real problem and would cause me to not use the Garritan Steinway. I assume that there is a solution to this since I have seen no similar complaints on this issue.

Thanks
    Kent

Re: steinway sustain time

Kent,

You should be able to control sustain. Try adjusting the resonances.

Here are some setting to try:
    Mechanical noise 12, Sustain resonance 20, symp res 34, +4db high EQ, Ambience decay 53, diff 0, size 45, predelay 93 ms, width 100, quality 100, variation 0, top of the wet fader is in the middle of the dry fader.

See if that helps.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by kw88keys View Post
    I have the intermediate version and cannot seem to achieve adequate sustain times. My controller is a Kawai MP9500 (great keyboard for the touch). On this keyboard, with the onboard sounds, I can vary the sustain times. For example, on a note in the 5th octave, I get approximately 3 times(!) longer sustain with the voice that resides in the MP9500 (more similar to a true grand piano) than I can with the Garritan Steinway. Is there a way to increase the sustain time in the Garritan Steinway? This is a real problem and would cause me to not use the Garritan Steinway. I assume that there is a solution to this since I have seen no similar complaints on this issue.

Thanks
    Kent

Go Back to forum