• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: I think I have found the GS4 culprit.

Share/Bookmark

I think I have found the GS4 culprit.

It was time I reformatted a system I wanted to use GS4. This system went thru many changes and repair installs. It was time to start fresh.

GS4 was one of the first apps I install and whaddaya know it worked.

Then I installed Kontakt2 and 3.

This is where the behavior was real odds. If I opened up GS4 it would ask for the installer on the disk. I pooped the disk in and gave me the choice to repair or remove. After the repair it would no longer make any sound and midi would not function.

SO there must be a conflict between Giga4 and Kontakt. It's odd because either one doesn't have any process running in the background I know of when they are being used.

My conclusion is that Kontakt and GS4 can't be on the same machine. This is odd because there is no conflict between GS3 and Kontakt.

Re: I think I have found the GS4 culprit.

Works for me in gs 4.01/x64/raydat.

I only have Giga 3 and Kontakt 2 on one slave machine. They both work fine, but not at the same time. If I open both of them, then the audio card crashes and I get no sound. I can run Kontakt 2 and GVI in VSTack at the same time though. Weird. And even with the updates, I still can't run hyperthreading on the machine that has Giga 3. If I do that, all I get is the blue screen of death. I don't use Giga much at all anymore which is probably a good thing given the recent news of its demise. Almost all of my libraries are now in Kontakt format.

I have Giga 2.5. It causes a number of audio problems on my machine. One is that after I exit GS, no other apps in my computer can make sounds anymore until after I reboot. This is the life story of PC software and Windows, and it only keeps getting worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Elhardt View Post
    I have Giga 2.5. It causes a number of audio problems on my machine. One is that after I exit GS, no other apps in my computer can make sounds anymore until after I reboot. This is the life story of PC software and Windows, and it only keeps getting worse.
    The likely cause is that your audio hardware's GSIF drivers are dodgy, or perhaps they're not multi-client, or some combination of those. Has nothing to do with "the life story of PC software and Windows", it has to do with your specific combination of hardware and software. I have and continue to run many audio apps on a single machine with little to no problems -- Kontakt 1/2/3, Halion 2, SONAR 3/4/5/6/7, CoolEdit 2K, VSampler, Melodyne Studio, Fruity Loops, all variety of Kontakt-based products, dozens of softsynths and effects, etc., etc.. I even used to run Gigastudio back in the day on Win98 and XP, before switching to Kontakt 1.5 and ditching GS for good. I've run into specific problems -- e.g., GS 2.5 not booting when having certain virtual MIDI loopback devices installed -- but nothing that can't be investigated and worked around. There is no general "problem" with doing audio on a PC with windows. It all has to do with the user's specific combination of hardware and software. The fact that there are effectively infinite combinations available is both good and bad, because the user needs to know ahead of time what to look for in terms of compatibility (when buying or building), and when a problem does come up they need to know where to look for problem resolution.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy View Post
    It was time I reformatted a system I wanted to use GS4. This system went thru many changes and repair installs. It was time to start fresh.

GS4 was one of the first apps I install and whaddaya know it worked.

Then I installed Kontakt2 and 3.

This is where the behavior was real odds. If I opened up GS4 it would ask for the installer on the disk. I pooped the disk in and gave me the choice to repair or remove. After the repair it would no longer make any sound and midi would not function.

SO there must be a conflict between Giga4 and Kontakt. It's odd because either one doesn't have any process running in the background I know of when they are being used.

My conclusion is that Kontakt and GS4 can't be on the same machine. This is odd because there is no conflict between GS3 and Kontakt.

Do you have the same sound card ( same company that is ) on all the machines where you had problems?
    What about the multi-client option(s)?

....I pooped the disk in.
    That's not good for you or your machine. I'd suggest replacing your optical drives and installing again, err...manually.

No wonder all three computers happen to be on the fritz

Belbin

The system I had my GS4 trouble with also had Kontakt 2 installed, so you might be right.
    Will Loconto
    www.WillLoconto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Will Loconto View Post
    The system I had my GS4 trouble with also had Kontakt 2 installed, so you might be right.
    I am right. GS4 can't exist on the same machine as Kontakt 2 or 3 using Windows XP 32bit.
    Mid or audio will not function in GS4.

GS3-opposite. Kontakt 2,3 does not conflict. It was because of the stability of GS3 that I got suckered into GS4.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    What about the multi-client option(s)?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this or how to change this. I think this had something to back in the GS2 days.

Go Back to forum