• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Critique please......

Share/Bookmark

Critique please......

I think I have finally got myself out of my writers block, which has been really rather bad recently.

Honest feedback please.

It is called Fortune teller. This has had a tweak to the mix this morning and has been added to my profile here at NS.
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Re: Critique please......

Here's the link to your profile:
    http://www.northernsounds.net/members/89/

Fortune Teller - Cool ...
    The title makes sense after hearing the song. I like it!

The only thing I might have done a bit differently is had a bit more variation in velocity, or maybe I should call it dynamic range, in the guitar part.
    But ... the very level approach you used also works well.

"One o Five" is very cool! Nice and spooky. I love the way the percussion sneaks in later on, and then back out, and then in with a kit, and very nice sounds. It's like middle eastern ambient film score like ...

Hi Steve thanks for listening,

The reason I did not put the link in is because links to it are my signature, my myspace page and main page has it and then the thumbnail image is the profile here at NS!

I may tweak the guitar a bit more, but what I considerd a weak area myself was the drums.

I m glad that you also like One O Five, I am very happy with the way that turned out having come up with the idea in my local Starbucks!.

Thanks again

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Hi, Simon.

First of all, I am in no position or authority to judge or give you advice, so everything I say is a totally subjective view of mine, but since someone has to give help and support to talented people, and you sure are a talented person, I'll tell you what I think.

I think your most successful pieces are the beginning parts of "Armenian Dawn" and "One o Five". They have that wholeness and inner unity, one being an instrumental solo and the other a complex soundscape. They sound well until drum sample loops enter, turning the music into a sum of mechanical and repetitive patterns. Those drum loops are the same in character - too loud, commercial and cheap sounding. They steal unity, life and variation. The only unity they possess is they "cheapen" your music.

Now, regarding "Fortune Teller". To me it sounds as if you combined three different instrumental pieces that by some coincidence happened to be in the same key, rhythm and meter. Apart from that they bare no relation with each other. Each of them is too loud and independent, striving to shift one's attention on itself, at the same time without having much to say. They don't listen to one another, they don't have a conversation, they are three simultaneous rough sounding monologues.

You can learn to write homophonic music from what you can do best - your "soundscapes" - pieces like "One o Five". You don't have all your parts and instruments trying to outshout one another there. There's a right moment, right phrase and right dynamics for each, they participate in telling the same story, reinforcing and helping one another, creating the right mood. If you apply the same rule to "Fortune Teller", focusing at what each voice has to say and what they all have to say together, your music will gain a lot.

Now, Simon. I wouldn't bother telling you all that, risking to cause your anger, if you did not posses talent and ability to create. We all learn during all our lives (and past that too, I believe) so, best of luck to you and whenever you feel like hearing more grumble from me, I am always here to help

Once again, best of luck,

Michael

P.S. Simon, if you want my help, we can work things out together. We could try and think of a few possible ways of developing "Fortune Teller".

Best regards,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Thank you for that! Programming drums is a very weak spot for me. I was not sure about the Violin level I wanted it a little higher in the mix but it is too much as you say.

If you or anyone has some good drum programming tips please let me have them as I felt they are letting me down.

As for the track style, sometimes it is good to leave the comfort zone and do something new even if you trip up along the way.

Any further tips are very welcome..

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Thanks for the offer their Michael, I plan to have another look at this later today..

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonF View Post
    Hi Michael,

If you or anyone has some good drum programming tips please let me have them as I felt they are letting me down.
    Take a look at groovemonkee dot com
    They have nice drum midi libraries on different styles including "world beats" and many freebies.

Hi ABzic,

Thanks for the link, and they seem to offer some pretty good things, however going down that route is not going to help me improve my skills.

is there any tutorial videos knocking around?

I have also added a version without drums and one with a revised mix.

Thanks for all comments

Simon

And now also at Flickr!

NorthernSounds.NET.

Hi Simon.

On the contrary, surely studying midi files of drum parts WILL help you, as it'll enable you to see how a variety of different drum styles are programmed. The ideal tutorial!

Hope you're well.

Nick

Go Back to forum