• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hay Burner JABB Big Band - PMPM version2

Share/Bookmark

Hay Burner JABB Big Band - PMPM version2

This is a rendering of the Sammy Nestico / Count Basie composition Hay Burner. The soon to be released version2 of the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi was used with an excellent midi file available at the Jazz Page website. All controller data, phrasing etc is script generated using only notes and velocity from the midi. No processing was used outside of what the K2 Player provides.

More info on the Phrase Modeled Performance Multi is available at Mike's K2 Scripts

Re: Hay Burner JABB Big Band - PMPM version2

Mike:
    When I still had my college Jazz Ensemble, we played just about everything Nestico put out, despite the 'hue and cry" from the ultra cool. There is no better Jazz band literature than Nestico charts to teach the young and inexperienced how to swing. "Hay Burner" was a favorite and your rendition is great. I tried your PMPM early, and being very inexperienced myself in the ways of this technology, got confused, stumped and gave up. I'm ready to try again, so what do I need and where do I get it?

sosmus (Steve)

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Mike:
    When I still had my college Jazz Ensemble, we played just about everything Nestico put out, despite the 'hue and cry" from the ultra cool. There is no better Jazz band literature than Nestico charts to teach the young and inexperienced how to swing. "Hay Burner" was a favorite and your rendition is great. I tried your PMPM early, and being very inexperienced myself in the ways of this technology, got confused, stumped and gave up. I'm ready to try again, so what do I need and where do I get it?

sosmus (Steve)
    Steve,

Thanks for listening, Before I found this midi file to test the Multi I haven't heard this tune for over 30 years, One of my favorites then and now. A great chart by a master. There's also a rendering of Freckle Face on the demo page that I think you'll like. Also credit to whoever did these midi files, they are near perfect.

As to the multi, you can use the empty multi in the main distribution. Just add your instruments as usual, the scripting is automatic. There is also a Big Band Multi on the demo link on the bottom of the main page. This one uses a lite Trumpet & Trombone for the 3rd & 4th Brass. just replace them with a full instrument and add one more of each replacing the "beg" instrument.

You should remove any cc data you may have created especially cc1, 2 & 11 as these will conflict with the scripting. No need for midi tweaking since the scripts only need the notes with velocity, letting you concentrate on the music.

Your results will not be quite as good as these demos as there have been significant improvements in the soon to be released 2.0 version

feel free to PM me if you have problems

This is a very nice rendering of the Nestico tune. I used to play this in the middle of many sets and it was a wonderful and refreshing change of pace from straight dance floor fox trots, waltzes, rhumbas, sambas and the like. Sammy could certainly give all players a line with some meat on it!

Nice to hear how well PMPM is coming. I haven't used it since the early days either. It sounds like it can truly take the work off of the composer so that music can be composed and engineering can be in the background.

Thanks for sharing this Mike.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thanks Rich,
    I agree great tune, great arranger and great midi file (whoever did this should have credited themself). The Multi continues to evolve, there seems to be a never ending array of nuance that can be coaxed from this fantastic library

I've got to borrow from my esteemed and knowledgeable
    colleague, Steve... "ultra cool". Remarkable results once
    again, Mike!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening and your encouragement David - still working with the instrument convolution and presets. More to come

My best

Go Back to forum