• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie direction needed, please.

Share/Bookmark

Newbie direction needed, please.

I am new to sample libraries AND samplers, have Kontakt but haven't learnt it yet. Fairly new to sequencers also but bought Cubase SX version 3. It's all so overwhelming with so much to learn. My goal is to learn midi orchestration. I do know the fundamentals of music.
    Please tell me if I'm right or not.

I'm thinking I should devote all my time to learn this sequencer first, then move on. I just think it may be easier to learn things step by step because otherwise it all seems too much to me.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated and I thank you all.
    Richard.

Re: Newbie direction needed, please.

Hi Richard,

Welcome to this forum and the world of samples and sequencers!

I also use CubaseSX 3 and I remember how I felt when seeing it for the first time... overwhelming indeed!

In comparison to what you have to learn about sample libraries and the
    kontakt player, Cubase is more difficult, so you are right about wanting to tackle first your sequencer.

If you need assistance as you learn, just post your questions here and me or someone else will surely be able to help you out.

Good Luck with your learning and hopefully, in the near future, we'll be able to hear something from you in the listening room!

Yudit

I'm nowhere near anything...yet...But I'm learning...
    These helped me alot to get started with SX3 : https://askvideo.com/product_info.ph...ab0cdecb8b26ee

You can find lots of help here:

http://www.steinbergusers.com/cubase/cubase_btm.php

And here:

http://diyrecording.com/archives/47

There are many more free video tutorials on the net.

Yudit

Thank you all so much for your thoughts.
    I will look at those tutorial DVDs too.

Don't forget the Principles of Orchestration by Rimsky Korsakow freely available on-line from the forum is you need musical help.

I might be able to help with Cubase, I started with a version that ran on Windows 3.1
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Don't forget the Principles of Orchestration by Rimsky Korsakow freely available on-line from the forum is you need musical help.

I might be able to help with Cubase, I started with a version that ran on Windows 3.1
    Oh yeah, sounds good!
    I just got back from Guitar Center and bought the SX3 Video tutorial disk set, looks very comprehensive indeed.
    I actually bought two different ones. One company is "Ask Video" and the second set is from CSI.
    An expensive bundle but I hope well worth the investment.

Again, thank you so kindly for your input...

Hi Richard,

I agree with Sundbird that you should learn you sequuencer first. For one thing, if all sample libraries and samplers disappeared tomorrow, your DAW would still allow you to make music! There are, of course, many other reasons, but that's the biggest one, IMHO.

As far as sampling goes, do put some time into Kontakt in the early stages, but as soon as it becomes overwhelming to use both together, get back to Cubase.

Sequencing MIDI and setting up sounds have become pretty alienated from one another, and I'm not sure if this is for better or for worse. As long as you can figure out a way to deal with the seperate and unified aspects of the learning curve, you'll be fine. Just be very patient!

Best,

Belbin

Quote Originally Posted by belbin View Post
    Hi Richard,

I agree with Sundbird that you should learn you sequuencer first. For one thing, if all sample libraries and samplers disappeared tomorrow, your DAW would still allow you to make music! There are, of course, many other reasons, but that's the biggest one, IMHO.

As far as sampling goes, do put some time into Kontakt in the early stages, but as soon as it becomes overwhelming to use both together, get back to Cubase.

Sequencing MIDI and setting up sounds have become pretty alienated from one another, and I'm not sure if this is for better or for worse. As long as you can figure out a way to deal with the seperate and unified aspects of the learning curve, you'll be fine. Just be very patient!

Best,

Belbin
    Belbin, patience is a difficult thing for me but alas, I realize how important it is. These tools we have available today are not only inexpensive by yesterdays standards but so, so powerful. It does appear to be easy to get caught up in all the technology though but I'm putting my trust in a plan that does focus on first learning Cubase and then Kontakt.

Ohhh. Anyone know if that Kontakt 2 video tutorial is worthwhile? Think it's like only $40.
    I've seen about 8 short clips on youtube, I'm assuming there's more than that though?

Thanks for all the input, you guys are great.......
    Richard

Go Back to forum