• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Do you like this Violin Section sound?

Share/Bookmark

Do you like this Violin Section sound?

Hi friends,

as so often I am experimenting and experimenting.

What do you think about this Violin section sound?

http://www.box.net/shared/ny6b9hjtw8

Oops, please do not listen to the articulation-realism or missing dynamic... .

This is only a "SOUND" example!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Re: Do you like this Violin Section sound?

I like it! Its warm and present without being 'mushy'. EQ experiment, timbre changing IRs perhaps?

I thought you were going to break in to a famous Mantovani-type song in triple time at the end in the high strings. Whats that song? (add a stepped down fourth, then tone at the end, and youve got the melody)

Anyhow, sorry to distract...

As usual, it sucks!

You never forgave me for pointing out that SO has only velocity layer did you?

Smart ...

Smile,

this is not SO . This is a section I have built me with 16 Solo violines from different libs. They all are different programmed and that is the reason I asked you to only listen to the sound and not to the dynamic and legato playing, because there is non... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

They sound sordino - either that or you've EQ'd the Sh!t out of them Gunther.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Smile,

this is not SO . This is a section I have built me with 16 Solo violines from different libs. They all are different programmed and that is the reason I asked you to only listen to the sound and not to the dynamic and legato playing, because there is non... .
    You cant be serious! That doesn't sound like 16 individual solo violin on top of one an other to me. Sounds more like EWSO if you ask me.

For what it is, it sounds pretty good. But realistically, if you take away the fact that it is all of these layers, it does not sound good at all. Very synthetic, and unnatural. I applaud your effort, however.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    This is a section I have built me with 16 Solo violines from different libs.
    You have 16 different solo violin libraries?

The unnatural sound is accounted for by the completely flat dynamic, and lack of legato, as Gunther said. I think it could be worked into a very good sound - but I'd rather load up a single good 1st violins patch myself...

I see a lot of potential in this but I just can't believe that sound is made from solo samples. Germancomponist, could you list the libraries you used?

If this really is made from 16 solo violins, all it needs is is some humanizing which can be done in Kontakt. After some pitch and level deviations and SIPS it should sound stunning. Certainly this approach eats resources, but it might be very worthwhile.

I think that it sounds horrible. However, it is the first time that I've ever heard an ensemble patch made from solo instruments that didn't sound as if it was made from solo instruments. Therefore it is actually a huge deal. Up until now I would always have said that ensemble building from solo patches doesn't work. Now I think that it has possibilities, so on that front it is a good test.

However, programming it without musicality is a mistake, because no matter how much you tell people not to focus on those elements, it is very hard not to do so, because we are all musicians at heart, even though we spend far too much of our lives dealing with this techie geek cr*p.

D

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast