• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: transfer Steinway to new computer question

Share/Bookmark

transfer Steinway to new computer question

I have the Steinway on my computer. BUT this weekend I am getting a new processor, motherboard and operating system hard drive.
    How do I go about transferring Steinway to the new computer?

THANKS.

Re: transfer Steinway to new computer question

Quote Originally Posted by ab53 View Post
    I have the Steinway on my computer. BUT this weekend I am getting a new processor, motherboard and operating system hard drive.
    How do I go about transferring Steinway to the new computer?

THANKS.
    ab53,

You get four installs so just install on the new computer and register online. That's all there is to it.

Best,

Gary

You are one awesome guy. Talk about a lightning fast response. Must be that clean living on Orcas Island.

I LOVE THE STEINWAY!!!!!

Thanks,
    Alan

Cool Re: transfer Steinway to new computer question

not that I have a problem but after 4 installs I'll own an expensive coaster maybe I would prefer a dongle, any further purchases will not include this kind of protection, for the same reason I'm eliminating NI's products from my system (a least with them you can change a piece of hardware and start over again) Also GARY please include this Information on your Steinway page for future clients

(Graceful Copy Protection (no dongles or challenge response) and ONLY 4 INSTALLS ALLOWED)

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    not that I have a problem but after 4 installs I'll own an expensive coaster maybe I would prefer a dongle, any further purchases will not include this kind of protection, for the same reason I'm eliminating NI's products from my system (a least with them you can change a piece of hardware and start over again) Also GARY please include this Information on your Steinway page for future clients

(Graceful Copy Protection (no dongles or challenge response) and ONLY 4 INSTALLS ALLOWED)
    I'm very pleased with the sound of the Steinway which I just bought and installed, but I have to say I have always disliked the copy-protection schemes used by the software industry, especially the ones that makes restrictions on the number of installations and hardware configuration. This is really limiting my right to use the computer the way I want. I want to be able to experiment with different hardware-configurations,try a different OS on my computer (with the obvious risk of deleting my windows partition) without being afraid of somehow be forced to do a complete reinstall of my programs and that way using up my precious "activations" when I actually have paid hundreds of Euros for the software. I have problems understanding how such limitations in the first place could be legally forced upon the consumers...

Of the DRM-solutions out there, the one I dislike least is the dongle.
    Halvor

The only library I've had problems with copy protection is the VSL stuff using a dongle. Their forum daily has other users who's licenses have just disappeared from the dongle. So I refuse to purchase any more libraries with a dongle. I've never had problems with NI licenses in the many years I've used them or other libraries using challenge-response.

I think 4 installs in plenty as most other libraries only allow 2 installs. GigaStudio only allowed 1 install and then you had to buy another license for another computer. So I think the ARIA licensing is the best out there now with the least amount of hassle.

Jim

Angry Re: transfer Steinway to new computer question

Haydn I presently have 3 dongles for the past 8 years never a problem my point is I spend $400.00 and after 4 installs I have to spend again not right Pirates have no problems only the consumers have to go throught this with so much put into the product and protecting The companies investments don't you think that the consumer, which by the way, is where the money comes from, has the right to use a product without a Black Cloud looming (I have had problems with NI enough that I will not purchase anything else from them. In conclusion if you believe its fair why dont you post this info on the main promo page instead of in a book after purchase. You find that I'm not the only one. By the way I love the product and but not the restrictions

How about this for an option at a fraction of the cost offer additional license to registered owners only (to me this is fair)

You've been lucky with your dongles. I've had mine go out 3 times in the last 4 months. After reseating and rebooting the computer, it started working again. I've tried it in a couple USB ports. This seems to be a pretty common problem others are having.

Why do you need that many installs? I'm not sure how picky the ARIA player is when you change hardware as I haven't updated my systems since installing it. If you have odd situations requiring large amounts of installs, then you should contact Gary Garritan.

Jim

Angry Re: transfer Steinway to new computer question

I'm on the moon with this nonsense explain to me your issue with ILOk works doesn't work,
    again $400.. dollars its not a hot dog

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post

Why do you need that many installs? I'm not sure how picky the ARIA player is when you change hardware as I haven't updated my systems since installing it. If you have odd situations requiring large amounts of installs, then you should contact Gary Garritan.

Jim
    Here is my resent example;

Under a year ago I installed GPO and registered it. That was my first registration. A few months ago my windowsXP refused to boot so I had to reinstall everything and consequently installed GPO for the second time. That was my second registration. After a while I felt it was time to buy a new computer which I did. So I installed GPO a third time. Now, an installation of another operating system on the same computer rendered my new Windows-Vista installation unbootable, which easily could have resulted in a complete reinstall of Windows. Luckily I had a backup of the old Windows bootloader, so I didn't have to, but a reinstall would nevertheless have resulted in yet another registration.

Vista turned out to quite unstable and immature. Gigastudio doesn't work properly and Ewql So Gold demanded a new activation just a few minutes after registering (that would be my fourth reg.). All in all I'm now actually considering to wipe out Vista and install Windows XP once again because of all the problems. But that would require a fourth registration of GPO (so I have to see if I'm going to do it). In the foreseeable future I will probably convert my operating system to 64-bit, when Vista have matured a somewhat and 64-bit is more mainstream. Again, that would require a fifth registration.

At the time of writing a have not yet registered my Steinway and I'm glad I haven't, because it makes it possible to test the installation for 30 days and sort out possible problems that may occur without having to go through a second registration instantly.
    Halvor

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast