• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two problems with Finale

Share/Bookmark

Two problems with Finale

1. Doubling instruments - How do I create an instrument staff that can switch between two different instruments while also changing the staff name every time this occurs?

2. Hiding inactive staves - How can I hide staves that are empty in certain pages so I don't waste a bunch of paper if only two instruments are playing on a certain page of the score (or if I'm writing a concerto and it's a solo section)?

Re: Two problems with Finale

Quote Originally Posted by pgfan92 View Post
    1. Doubling instruments - How do I create an instrument staff that can switch between two different instruments while also changing the staff name every time this occurs?

2. Hiding inactive staves - How can I hide staves that are empty in certain pages so I don't waste a bunch of paper if only two instruments are playing on a certain page of the score (or if I'm writing a concerto and it's a solo section)?
    ASSUMING FINALE 2008 or 2009...(but will probably go at least a couple more versions back)

1. Use an expression and a staff style...
    Suppose you have a flute/alto double, starting on flute. When it's time to switch to alto, create an expression TO ALTO and place it over the first bar of the several-bar rest that you have given your player so s/he can put the flute down and pick up the alto . When the alto comes in, go to the staff menu, staff styles, and select alto sax transposition.
    You will see a key change and correct alto notation in score and parts providing "view in concert pitch" is OFF. Also...if the switch to alto crosses a page, you will see a. sx. or whatever abbreviated name you want displayed as the abbreviated staff name. After a few bars rest to put the alto down & get the flute off the stand, create an expression called TO FLUTE over the first one and go the the flute staff style.
    If your double is Db piccolo to Bass Clarinet in A, though, you will have to create your own staff styles. It's simple once you look at it. Use an existing style as a template. In any event, if you are new to Finale, read up on Staff Styles.

2. You are describing a process called OPTIMIZATION in FinaleSpeak. Once you have things laid out as you want them, go to the page layout tool and choose "OPTIMIZE SYSTEMS." BUT: Read up on optimization BEFORE you do anything you may later regret.

These functions are part of what makes Finale so cool!!! But DO read up on them so you will get them without too much trial-and error. Optimizing can be tricky; staff styles are straight-ahead. Some conductors, btw, do not like optimized scores, except perhaps in the cadenza situation you describe.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Concerning optimzation, my experience with it is that it should be one of the last things you do to your score. Anything you do to a score after optimizing might possibly create problems. For instance, if you optimize your score, then go back and add some notes to an empty part, that part will not show up in your score unless you remove and re-apply optimization. Or if you make any changes to the page layout, this can also potentially lead to optimization errors.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Ok, got another one. How would one split a staff in the case of very intricate divisi or a Violin solo with the rest of the strings playing very quietly or playing pizzicato?

Quote Originally Posted by pgfan92 View Post
    Ok, got another one. How would one split a staff in the case of very intricate divisi or a Violin solo with the rest of the strings playing very quietly or playing pizzicato?
    Create the extra staff in advance or add it where you want it in the score, then optimize it out. It will then show only when it is playing, give or take a blank measure or two to start/end a page.
    The Ossia tool in Finale is *possible* here as well, but it is one of Finale's most arcane operations...I wouldn't use it for anything longer than a measure or two.
    But remember to have things as you want them before optimizing. Dan mentioned the same thing when he said it should be one of the last things you do, if not the last. And make sure to do an update layout. If you don't, things have been known to disappear.

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

I figured it'd have something to do with optimization. Also, is there a simpler way to switch between Piano and Celesta than replacing the group name with two staff styles with the staff names adjusted with the baseline adjustment? This way works, and is very good, but is there a simpler way to pull this off?

Go Back to forum