• Register
  • Help

Topic: One USB midi controller, 4 computers. How to connect?

Share/Bookmark

One USB midi controller, 4 computers. How to connect?

Hi, gang. I am rebuilding my studio setup, and have a conundrum. I have replaced my primary controller keyboard with a USB keyboard (CME UF70 and perhaps also Axiom 61). When I was using MIDI keyboards, I had an MTP-AV to route any keyboard to any computer. How can I do that for the USB controllers? They all use type-A USB connectors, and I need to connect to any of four machines (really 6, but I don't know of any reasonably proced 6 or 8-way switches. All the USB ports I find are for one A to multiple Bs, I need the opposite, one B from the controller to multiple A outs. Or is there a better way? A KVM seems like overkill, I don't need the vodeo or mouse, but that may be the only solution.

Thanks for any ideas.
    Dasher
    -------
    It's all about the music - really. I keep telling myself that...

Re: One USB midi controller, 4 computers. How to connect?

MusicLab MidiOverLan is perfect solution.

+ 1 for MOL.

You might to have a look to FX-Teleport too.

+2 for MOL - Love it. Has been very useful for me for years.

MOL is very good I agree with the comments above - however it might be better to understand what you are trying to accomplish and what you are using your 4 PCs for.

Regards

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Kiel View Post
    MOL is very good I agree with the comments above - however it might be better to understand what you are trying to accomplish and what you are using your 4 PCs for.
    I agree with Tim. I could be wrong, but usually one computer is the sequencer/DAW rig, with the others being the sample engines. In such a set up you would use the DAW to record (and edit) midi data thus you would hook your keyboard up to it. The DAW would route midi data to various computers to play samples using MOL (it works like a charm for me). The audio from the sample player computers would then be recorded in the DAW for mixing. Is there another way to do it?

THanks - I guess I wasn't clear. I'm rebuilding the studio - one 'feature' of the current rig is to require that I turn on the main console in order to do anything musically useful, even just to audition a sound. I have DP on a Mac for sequencing, a Giga box, a VST player, another VST player with soundfonts and editing, a video editor that also supplies sample material, etc. At any time, I would like to be able to connect the UF70 to any of the computers via USB, thus avoiding the need to turn on those energy-sucking massive mixer/power amp, etc. I can do a LOT with just the computer speakers and a KVM. If I have to turn on the Mac just to hear a soundfont, it defeats the purpose.

I just want to easily switch the controller to any of these computers. MidiOverLAN is software, which I have used, but I need a switch box.
    Dasher
    -------

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardware/USB_Switchboxes/

If you allow two computers to be on, one for the human interface the other as the sound module, then I'm thinking you could use remote desktop, MidiOverLan and FX-Teleport for a completely virtual KVM(M) system.

Or use an old laptop with MOL software as a USB to LAN converter.

Or go back to your old midi patchbay. I love JimmyV's idea of using a disabled usb port for power and midi cables for the communication connection.

Ernie

Ernie, you found the answer! Belkin makes a 4x4 hub switcher is just what I needed. The other ideas are useful, the 'spare' laptop (which I actually have at the moment) is cute, but the box is just what I wanted.

Thanks to all for your help.
    Dasher
    -------

Go Back to forum