• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: *** Gershwin ***

Share/Bookmark

Arrow *** Gershwin ***

It happened again!
    I was in the middle of working on a new piece… when the Steinway lured me…
    This time the choice fell on Gershwin who has always been and still is a great source of inspiration for me.
    I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do…

Re: *** Gershwin ***

Hi Yudit, I tried twice and just get about 5 or 6 notes and then nothing. Can you check the file? Looking forward to listening to you play. Thanks, John

Very nice, Yudit. That's based on GG's transcription for piano? It comes over very well with a nice lilt and good handling of the Steinway. The top link in your post gives the theme from the first prelude - just a few notes. Is that appetising snippet a hint of something more in the Gershwin pipeline?

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hi Yudit, I tried twice and just get about 5 or 6 notes and then nothing. Can you check the file? Looking forward to listening to you play. Thanks, John
    John, what you heard is just the luring sound...
    Roll down and click on:
    I'll build a stairway to paradise

Hi Yudit:

Love the music of George Gershwin.
    Interesting title for one of his songs.
    Like the transcription, if that's what it is.
    Love the piano sound.

What else can I say?

Oh yeah, it was too short. Very well done Yudit.
    I can see why anyone could interrupt what they are
    doing to think about and then play some Gershwin.

BRAVO, Yudit

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Yudit

Gershwin has always been one of my favcorites and his style is so easily picked out.

Great playing

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Yudit,

Another stellar performance. I love how you interpreted this piece. Just the right speed, swing injection, and punctuation throughout. It made me look at it differently, really a nice approach that I haven't thought of.

Yes, I play this piece also. It's a lot of fun under the fingers!

If I can answer Jack's question for you, Yes, this is arranged by George Gershwin. It's from a song book called "Gershwin at the keyboard" and contains 18 songs arranged by him from his popular music productions written throughout his life. (such as Swanee, Strike up the Band, I got rhythm, The man I love, Liza, Fascinating Rhythm, etc.)

The publisher is NEW WORLD MUSIC CORP of New York, but it might not still be in print seeing that I bought the book around 30 years ago. Maybe Yudit has a newer source.

CASS

Common knowledge, I guess, how much I love Gershwin (given
    I steal from him fairly often) --

Very well done, Yudit! Thanks!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
    Very nice, Yudit. That's based on GG's transcription for piano? It comes over very well with a nice lilt and good handling of the Steinway. The top link in your post gives the theme from the first prelude - just a few notes. Is that appetising snippet a hint of something more in the Gershwin pipeline?
    Eugene, I'm glad you had a listen and liked my performance.
    I am especially attracted to the lilt and swing of this piece, it is really adorable! And the Steinway is just the right instrument!

Yes, the first link (now removed because it seemed to be confusing) was of the beginning of Gershwin's 1st prelude.
    I am very tempted to do any of the preludes in the future...

Thanks for your comments.

Yudit

Yudit...
    Very well styled...TASTY..spot on!! but too short.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast