• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: An Old-Time March From Snorlax

An Old-Time March From Snorlax

Hi, all...

As some of you may know, our house took a bit of a hit from a flood a couple months ago.
    While I was cleaning up, climbing up & down stairs, hacking out drywall, etc., a couple of little march tunes popped into my head, and I stitched them together into a complete old-time march, and decided to call it "High and Dry."

I used CoMB and GPO for this: The instrumentation is far from standard, but the form is (other than the fact that the main sections are 32 bars instead of 16) So if it sounds "reedy," it IS. There are relatively few brass.

1 GPO FLUTE, 4 CoMB Clarinets, 1 CoMB Cornet (muted in the trio), 4 CoMB Mellophones (ya GOTTA love 'em!), 1 CoMB Euphonium, 1 CoMB Helicon (see "Mellophones" comment above), GPO Snares, Cymbals, Bass Drum, NO TROMBONES!!!

FWIW, all the obbligatos were initially improvised on the euphonium as I played along with the melody tracks then put into the software as notation.

HIGH AND DRY MARCH GO TO POST #3 FOR UPDATE so go to it instead of this )

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: An Old-Time March From Snorlax

I added some...too much? (I also turned the volume down when creating the file and did a few other tweaks). I just didn't want to be cited by the "too much reverb" police. (They are frequently correct, though!)

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

This is a delightful cute march!

I like the way you made each repetition interesting by way of little extras or changes and different instruments combinations.
    Each instrument seems to get its moment of solo.

The structure and the instrumentation are just right!

Much enjoyed!

Fine writing, Hoosier Dude, with good martial counterpoint! I like your march. It's one of my favorite types of music. Way to go! Thanks for posting.

Best regards,

Larry G. Alexander

Smile Re: An Old-Time March From Snorlax

Maybe a change of title would appropriate, how about "The Entrance of the Dry-Wall Contractors" or "The March of the Water Company Inspectors "?
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Well, I made a few fixes...I can play euphonium ok, but I am still learning all this stuff...practicing, playing, day job, and family get in the way! Friday's version is above or below, depending on how you read threads, and time does not permit much more refining right now.

Larry & Yudit...thanx for the kind words. Larry, When I join the ranks of the retired in a few years, I hope to increase my output level to Alexandrian proportions.

Ern...thanx for the late-night ears & advice.

Derek...Some of the decrescendos represent things falling down the basement stairs, and I got into a routine of hitting the drywall with my sledge hammer at 124 dotted quarters to the minute in 6/8. I won't say what I was thinking as I entered the bass drum part. BTW, we wound up sealing off that toilet downstairs & putting a cleanout in its place; putting the backflow valve in was infeasible...we would have had to remove yards of metal fencing and a few trees. So yes, part of this is dedicated to (aimed at??) contractors present and future...

OK...back to work...

Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    Indianapolis Brass Choir

If you are not the "King" of marches, you certainly are qualified
    for the one of the "Princes."........lol

Really great writing and so well rendered. You really have your
    instrumentation down and what else can I say? Awesome march,

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Heerlijk! I enjoyed your march very much. Great writing Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Hi Snor!!

Thank you for putting this piece up for all to hear!! I just love it!! It's amazing that after all that you've been dealing with because of the floods, that you were able to create a piece that is so uplifting and happy!! Bravo my friend!! Bravo!!! Please keep them coming!!

Take Care,

Hey Jim - Snor?

It's amazing even through some "crappy" moments in life you have created a joyous and lively march to share. Thanks for the "good ole - cozy - kid-like" smirk!

Much enjoyed!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast