• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB and Finale 2009: advice

Share/Bookmark

JABB and Finale 2009: advice

Hello,

I'm an composer of arrangements for bigband and marchingband. Since 1994 I'm using Finale on a windows machine in combination with a Roland JV 30.
    Last year I've bought an Mac Book Pro with an Korg K61. The sounds in Finale 2009 (and therefore) are not good. I'll buy the JABB, but I'm hasitate.
    I've read good reviews.... but I also read bad reviews.

In Finale I'm using the Speedy Entry Tool to 'write' the score. This means that an quarter note sounds like a quarter note. I can make with an articualions choices.

Please, can anybody help me?
    Cees Coenen

CCMP (Cees Coenen Music Productions)

Finale 2009 - Logic Studio - Cubase 4
    Korg K61 - Roland JV 30 - Motu 896 - Motu 24 io - Apogee Duet

Re: JABB and Finale 2009: advice

Yes, go with the JABB. The sounds are good and it is best sounding Jazz library in this price range. I use JABB with Finale 2008 and Logic. JABB is designed to work with Finale or any sequencer. There should be a section in the Finale's help that is dedicated to using Finale with the Garritan Libraries.

I also write for jazz and marching bands, but I'm on Sibelius so I can't directly address any Finale questions other than to say that JABB and Finale can be used together. What I did want to suggest is that you use Finale for creating the sheet music and not the audio demo. Whenever I sequence an audio demo, I print out the parts from Sibelius and then play them into my sequencer (Sonar) where I have much more (and easier, for me) control over the MIDI data, such as durations, velocities, start times, etc. The two programs have different purposes - Finale/Sibelius for creating sheet music and DAW/sequencers for creating audio. It can be frustrating and ultimately less successful to try and force one program to do both to your level of expectation.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Quote Originally Posted by ccmp View Post
    Hello,

I'm an composer of arrangements for bigband and marchingband. Since 1994 I'm using Finale on a windows machine in combination with a Roland JV 30.
    Last year I've bought an Mac Book Pro with an Korg K61. The sounds in Finale 2009 (and therefore) are not good. I'll buy the JABB, but I'm hasitate.

In Finale I'm using the Speedy Entry Tool to 'write' the score. This means that an quarter note sounds like a quarter note. I can make with an articualions choices.

Thanks you for the post.
    Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmp View Post
    Hello,

Hello ccmp and welcome to our forums,

I have JaBB and Finale 2010 although I use these on a windows computer. I too would thoroughly recommend JaBB. It really is excellent and works superbly with finale.

Good luck.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum