• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Requiem

Share/Bookmark

Requiem

I just started this, so it is sketchy, but I need to keep a connection with you all right now, because I am in a slump for various reasons. From the traditional Catholic Latin mass for the dead, in a fairly traditional style. I guess when I lose someone, it makes me long for the familiar, rather than breaking new ground, because new ground has already been broken to bury the loved one.

When I write a choral piece, I often map out the basic chunks, and often I start with the choral parts. I also tend to ignore smooth transitions in the beginning, just getting out the major themes and parts of the music, which is why there are awkwardnesses here and there.

Don't waste too much time with this if you are busy... there may be more later if inspiration continues.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6790749

Karen

Re: Requiem

Karen,

This is a very moving and well written movement. Good solid themes that are well developed. Most importantly, it evokes eternity, your intent no doubt. Nice touch at the end when the choir goes a cappella. Can't wait to hear this again when you've polished it up. Excellent work so far.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Karen:

I also think you have a good start and agree that the
    a capella portion is a great break from what the orchestra
    is doing.

If you want to listen to a "model" Requiem, try the Faure.'

It's simplistic, but covers all the bases and a lot can be learned
    from it. You may find a performance of some or all of it on You Tube.

Keep working..........

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Karen:
    I just started this, so it is sketchy, but I need to keep a connection with you all right now, because I am in a slump for various reasons. From the traditional Catholic Latin mass for the dead, in a fairly traditional style. I guess when I lose someone, it makes me long for the familiar, rather than breaking new ground, because new ground has already been broken to bury the loved one.
    I am in complete agreement.

When I write a choral piece, I often map out the basic chunks, and often I start with the choral parts. I also tend to ignore smooth transitions in the beginning, just getting out the major themes and parts of the music, which is why there are awkwardnesses here and there.
    The only awkwardness I see is your self deprecating, down-in-the-mouth explanation for a wonderfully written piece of music. Your music always does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Don't waste too much time with this if you are busy... there may be more later if inspiration continues.
    Bill has already said it much better than I could have. Take heed of his words and finish this. A lot of "inspiration" usually comes from "desperation.!"

One of your admiring legions,
    Steve

Totally overwhelmed (spelling?).

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    Karen:

I also think you have a good start and agree that the
    a capella portion is a great break from what the orchestra
    is doing.

If you want to listen to a "model" Requiem, try the Faure.'

It's simplistic, but covers all the bases and a lot can be learned
    from it. You may find a performance of some or all of it on You Tube.

Keep working..........

Jack
    Thanks Jack -- actually I've performed a number of Requiems (Requia?) in concert: Verdi, Brahms, Mozart, Rutter (almost performed it) and yes, Faure. Faure is beautiful, clear and transcendent. Thanks for the suggestion!

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Karen:
    I am in complete agreement.

The only awkwardness I see is your self deprecating, down-in-the-mouth explanation for a wonderfully written piece of music. Your music always does exactly what it is supposed to do.

Bill has already said it much better than I could have. Take heed of his words and finish this. A lot of "inspiration" usually comes from "desperation.!"

One of your admiring legions,
    Steve
    Thanks Steve. Is that "legions" as in "his name is Legion"? ROTFL! And if there are legions, why can't I get my music performed anywhere? LOL!!!!

Actually, my self-deprecating comments are actually a strength, I think -- you know, because I see how my stuff could be better, the first step to getting there. I've heard your extraordinary arrangements, so I know you know what I am talking about, because you must have gone through that agonizing at some point in your long career.

Warm wishes Steve,
    Karen :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Totally overwhelmed (spelling?).

Raymond
    Thanks, Raymond. it's hardly even started yet so please don't get too overwhelmed at this early stage because if the finished product is good, you might explode! (and we like having you around!! :-D) I'd be happy if you were simply "whelmed" at this point

Karen ;-)

Hi Karen,

Once again the clarity of thought in your compositions rings true. With appropriate choir samples this will be a requiem to be reckoned with!

Best Wishes,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler View Post
    Hi Karen,

Once again the clarity of thought in your compositions rings true. With appropriate choir samples this will be a requiem to be reckoned with!

Best Wishes,
    John
    Oh yes! I can hardly wait for the Garritan choir library that can sing the words!!!!!

Thanks John

Karen

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast