• Register
  • Help

Topic: Hello again - from Newbie

Share/Bookmark

Smile Hello again - from Newbie

Hi again everyone -

I posted my first thread around a week ago and appear not to have had any response . I posted to the Tips and Tutes forum and I am wondering if I should have posted here to general first to introduce myself. My previous post concerns using Garritan strings so if anyone could provide some help, here is the thread again:-

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62135

Also feel free to visit my website below, to hear the standard of playback I am currently acheiving. I hope to have a new piece up shortly - Mood and Melody No.1 - (it is in the Sibelius "awaiting approval" stage) and will post the MP3 to the Listening Room when it is available. Many thanks for your time and attention.

JQ
    DELL_P4_3.4Ghz_3Gb_1Tb~Creative_SBAudigy2ZS~Tannoy _Reveal_6Ds
    WindowsXP_Pro_SP2~Sib_5.2.5~GPOSE~NI_Kontakt2~Cuba se_CS4.1
    http://members.sibeliusmusic.com/sm ~MMX~

Re: Hello again - from Newbie

Hello JQ and welcome to our forums.

As I don't use either of the programs you mentioned, I'm a Finale / Sonar Producer person, I don't really have any answers for you.

I posted to welcome you and I hope that you find some answers to your questions.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

You are asking a question thats hard to answer. Getting the sound from one source to another is going to be hard. I don't use Sibelius so I don't know how this app produces sound or how it saves them.
    Can you just put the sound on separate wav files and enter each one in Cubase ? or can you save as a midi file and import this into Cubase. Standard midi format should save all normal articulations but if you are doing anything unusual in GPO then this might not be saved.

If it was me, I'd enter everything in Cubase from scratch and when I 'd got the sound I want I'd move it back to Sib, in fact I wouldn't use this at all as the only thing it does that Cubase doesn't is produce fancy prints.

Thats probably not much help but might get the thread started
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    ..... or can you save as a midi file and import this into Cubase. Standard midi format should save all normal articulations .....
    Actually, on this point, this is exactly what I do. I prepare my score in Finale then save this as a MIDI file and open this in Sonar. I would imagine the same could be done with Sibelius / Cubase.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Hi Michael and Derek -

And thank you both for your replies. Its nice to feel welcomed! Maybe I wasnt entirely clear in my other post, so I shall try and explain the issue further. I use Sibelius to compose my music and do an initial mix and then export the midi to a file. I import this into Cubase where I am attempting to create a better production. (reverb, EQ, etc). In Sibelius, I am using the GPO sectional strings (a keyswitched instrument) where I am able to switch articulations (easily from score instructions) between, say, arco/pizz/mute, etc. These keyswitches are correctly exported to the midi file for import into Cubase. In Cubase, rather than use the GPO sectional strings, I wish to use the individual string players and build these up into my own "humanised" sections. The issue is that some of the articulations that were previously available to me when using the keyswitched sectional samples appear not to
    be available in GPO as individual instrument samples. eg mute / con sord. Is there a way to achieve these articulations with the solo strings? Or what is the best workaround?
    I believe this issue (as I perceive it) is quite technical - being to do with the detail of the samples themselves and the articulations available - so this may be one for Gary himself. I see he is around today, so perhaps I shall "get lucky" and elicit a response directly!
    Meanwhile, I notice that my latest offering - Mood and Melody No.1 - is now available on my sibeliusmusic website below, so if you are interested here is the link to the MP3:- http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/mp3/1/2/8/128237.mp3
    If you feel like providing some feedback, I shall also be posting this to the Listening Room presently where I shall be appreciative of your comments.
    Meanwhile, many thanks for your posts and my welcome.

JQ

Gary may well be on the Friday Chat, starts 8pm UK time and lasts until it finishes. Look for the word "Chat" in the top line if the forum, double click and then goto the Garritan section. You may need to wait, it doesn't always get running stateside until a bit later, keep looking
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Hi Derek -

Thanks for your suggestion re the Friday chat. Unfortunately, I wasnt able to join in yesterday but now I know about it I shall try and tune in next week. Meanwhile, I have managed to get my first post up in the Listening Room. (I had some trouble with my browser and the non-display of the Forum Tools.) The piece is "Mood and Melody No.1". I hope you like it. Regards.

JQ

Go Back to forum