• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: How does this electric bass sound?

Share/Bookmark

How does this electric bass sound?

This is all played in through the keyboard:

http://www.gregjazz.com/upload/justbassdemo.mp3

I wanted a bass sampleset without complicated keyswitches and whatnot, that will sound realistic just played through the keyboard or entered into the staff.

Features:

4x round robin (no more machine gun effect!)
    Sampled down to a low B
    Long, natural decay
    Release tones
    Automatic hammer-on, pull-off, slide up, slide down articulations (intelligent legato)

What do you think? Comments/criticism much appreciated!

Re: How does this electric bass sound?

Sounds really good. A bit too present for my taste - needs a bit more air, but that's JMO.

Some human-stuff going on there - didn't sound too "synthy" or sampled.

What's the lib? Sounded a bit like Trilogy for a bit....

Good job!

I play bass. Sounds good to me.
    Producer ~ Sound Engineer ~ Musician

http://www.myspace.com/451525581

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    Sounds really good. A bit too present for my taste - needs a bit more air, but that's JMO.

Some human-stuff going on there - didn't sound too "synthy" or sampled.

What's the lib? Sounded a bit like Trilogy for a bit....
    It's my own samples. I wanted something that could sound realistic without tweaking and keyswitches and whatnot. It's good at solid basslines too, although I know the short demo was more solo bass stuff.

I need to make a video of me playing so you can see... I literally just loaded up a simple sound recorder, hit record, and played on my keyboard. No pitch wheel, no mod wheel, just plain notes.

I'm not sure that the higher notes work, my bass is fretless so its not the same but I ran out of fingerboard trying to get the highest note and on a bass at this end the strings are quite high above the fingerboard and fast playing is not very easy, at least I don't find it so. It sounded to me more like guitar work than bass, the low notes were fine
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Sounds good... when can we buy it?

Sounds awsome!!!! how can we get it?

Wilfredo.
    Windows XP pro SP3 • Intel Core Quad 2.4GHz HT • Ram: 4GB
    M-Audio Delta 2496 • M-Audio Axiom 61 Controller

Greg,

This sounds awesome indeed! So this was done, without any keyswitches right? If so, it is like a "dream" come true. Something that many have started thinking about and a few have done so.

I'm hoping that it will follow the fate of the rest of your stuff in manytone, right? I mean Paul's a great guy and prices are VERY reasonable actually!

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Greg,
    I'm hoping that it will follow the fate of the rest of your stuff in manytone, right? I mean Paul's a great guy and prices are VERY reasonable actually!
    Yeah, the new fretless sounds great... I'm gettin' it. Can't have too many basses!

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I'm not sure that the higher notes work, my bass is fretless so its not the same but I ran out of fingerboard trying to get the highest note and on a bass at this end the strings are quite high above the fingerboard and fast playing is not very easy, at least I don't find it so. It sounded to me more like guitar work than bass, the low notes were fine
    I know what you mean, as I play fretless also. I think it's easier to play fast up high on a fretted bass--especially mine--since the action is much lower. The bass I sampled has 24 frets, so it really does go up to a high G.

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    Greg,

This sounds awesome indeed! So this was done, without any keyswitches right? If so, it is like a "dream" come true. Something that many have started thinking about and a few have done so.
    Yup, no keyswitches at all.

I included some slides and mutes and stuff underneath the main note range just so that's covered. I didn't use any of that stuff in the demo.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilfredo Nanita View Post
    Sounds awsome!!!! how can we get it?

Wilfredo.
    Thanks!

I hope to make it available very inexpensively, but it all depends on how much demand there is. It'll be somewhat informal, I'll put up a quick webpage with info, audio/video demos, and purchase links. The whole plan is to be able to release this as easily and quickly as possible.

Sound okay? What are your thoughts?

Go Back to forum