• Register
  • Help

Topic: New System

Share/Bookmark

New System

My new system will be a dual core, 8 Gig system using Finale 2009 and, of course, Garritan libraries.

Now what else do I need?

A Player? ARIA or Kontakt or both?

A sequencer? Cakewalk - or something else that's better?

Something I haven't even thought of yet?

Re: New System

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Something I haven't even thought of yet?
    Patience? Waiting for the new things on Garritan?

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Patience? Waiting for the new things on Garritan?

Raymond
    Things such as? A new sequencer? My old system has been down for a week, I have two projects to be finished by September 15th. The luxury of patience is quickly fading. Compound that by not finding anyone that knows what an optimal system needs to contain and frustraion rears its ugly head.

Hi Tom,
    I am using a Mac Pro for my sequencing/audio (DAW)... it runs Digital Performer, but I am still using my four year old Dell 3.06 ghz Pentium computer to run all my samples.

Currently I am working on a Gershwin piece, and while I am editing all the midi tracks, it is playing the entire orchestra including the Garritan Steinway. It only has two gigs for ram. So, what i am trying to say is.. don't fret over getting the most powerful computer in the world, just get a good one with a good warranty and you will be happy. By today's specs, just about anything you buy should smoke my old Dell.

Remember we are talking about using a computer for sound here. Don't get a cheezy soundcard. Buy a nice one that has a rock solid performance with low latency.

RME makes some of the most reliable soundcards. I use an RME 9652, but that unit specializes in a total of 48 digital inputs and outputs. It is overkill for many people.

Dan

If youve got to finish projects on time surely you need all the old stuff in order to complete the work, then upgrade when you have time to learn new things. New software can take forever to get used to.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Tom,
    I am using a Mac Pro for my sequencing/audio (DAW)... it runs Digital Performer, but I am still using my four year old Dell 3.06 ghz Pentium computer to run all my samples.

Currently I am working on a Gershwin piece, and while I am editing all the midi tracks, it is playing the entire orchestra including the Garritan Steinway. It only has two gigs for ram. So, what i am trying to say is.. don't fret over getting the most powerful computer in the world, just get a good one with a good warranty and you will be happy. By today's specs, just about anything you buy should smoke my old Dell.

Remember we are talking about using a computer for sound here. Don't get a cheezy soundcard. Buy a nice one that has a rock solid performance with low latency.

RME makes some of the most reliable soundcards. I use an RME 9652, but that unit specializes in a total of 48 digital inputs and outputs. It is overkill for many people.

Dan
    Thank you Dan. Actually, you've hit on part of my frustration. I have a Pentium 4 with 2 Gig of RAM, but could never get more than 10 instruments to play at a time, and only five or six if I included a harp or tympani.

The hardware isn't expensive at all - dual core and 8 gig or ram in a new box and really top end sound card is only $785.00

But when I read the specs on the various software programs I get washed into oblivion. I looked up cakewalk and it sounds quite nice, but when I went to the "buying" page I was inundated by a host of plugins and upgrades, etc to make everything sound better - that left me feeling as if the basic program didn't really offer much.

I'm pretty well sold on Finale 2009, but I have read so many listings here in the forum about how one or another sequencer just doesn't work well with it.

E-mailing the companies was a disaster in that they ALL ended up with, "..Oh, and you'll need to also purchase our..."

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    If youve got to finish projects on time surely you need all the old stuff in order to complete the work, then upgrade when you have time to learn new things. New software can take forever to get used to.
    Yes, I do. But the snag is that for whatever reason, the Cubase LE sequencer has become corrupted. It simply will not function. I downloaded it when I purchased it, so do not have the disk to work with.

But aww heck, . When I read my last few posts I realize how silly it all is. As always, I'll get the project done somehow - I always do - and I'll get paid for it - and then - as always - I'll promise myself never again.

And - as always - I will.

Hi, Tom

Happened to notice your post while searching for some answers I need on a slightly different subject. HAD to reply to this:

"...I looked up cakewalk and it sounds quite nice, but when I went to the "buying" page I was inundated by a host of plugins and upgrades, etc to make everything sound better - that left me feeling as if the basic program didn't really offer much..."

I want to assure you that Cakealk Sonar IS quite nice, and you apparently misinterpreted what you were seeing on the buying page. There are quite a few different versions of Cakewalk sequencers, but the basic programs offer a huge amount. I'm not sure what you were seeing, but your impression really was incorrect.

I still use Sonar Home Studio--Currently version 6 XL. It gives me Plenty to work with, more than I need. I look once in awhile at the full-blown Sonars and the extra goodies look fun, but I know from observing many musicians that the majority of people really do not need most of what is in the larger, more expensive versions.

Trust me--pay $100 to $150 for Home Studio, and you'll be amazed you ever were happy with Cubase LE--a program I used for awhile until pulling my hair out in frustration over its limitations.

Cakewalk--The Best.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum