• Register
  • Help

Topic: Two Problems I Would Really Like Solved

Two Problems I Would Really Like Solved

I already made this post in "Tips, Techniques, and Tutorials," but I'm wondering whether or not this may be a better place for it.

I use Noteworthy Composer, and I've run into two main issues when it comes to using Kontakt Player 2.

1) To this day, I have still not figured out how to work dynamics. I can't find any sort of guide that provides any sort of assistance when it comes to this subject. I know how to use the mod wheel and volume control, but I don't know what I should be setting each to for the various dynamics.

2) Frequently, when I play back the music, I either get stuck notes or phantom notes (where a note begins playing despite not being programmed in the music). I don't know what I can do to fix this.

If at all possible, I'd like to continue using NWC because I prefer the ability to simply "type in" the music using my keyboard. Sibelius is all right, but it is just as difficult to work dynamics with that as with NWC.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Re: Two Problems I Would Really Like Solved

Hiya, Cool--How ya doin?

I'd offer advice, but I'm not quite sure what this meant:

"... I prefer the ability to simply "type in" the music using my keyboard..."

Do you mean using your computer keyboard, or a MIDI keyboard?--And I guess you're referring to inserting notes by hand?

Well--any sequencer, like Sonar which I use, gives you the option to insert notes in any way you want, including what I Think you're talking about.

And the advantage of using a DAW like Sonar is that the dynamics are extremely accessible for you to edit, in the Piano Roll View. All the note velocities are right there in plain sight, ready for you to swipe a tool at, making them louder or softer. And I do believe that's the kind of dynamic control you're wishing for. Adding volume control via wheels in Real Time is also the only way to really get a good sense of what you're doing.

I've been using Sibelius recently, and think it's a wonderful program for making pro style print outs, but I know For Sure that it could never replace Sonar for me, when it comes to making music. I need total control over everything, and in Sonar--or Cubase or any other sequencer I know of, you have that kind of complete control over playback sound.

Randy B.
    EDIT: I meant to say that I've never experienced the "phantom note" problem you're talking about. Don't know what that's about, unless perhaps it's a glitch in that program you're using.

Go Back to forum