• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp glissando for a live performance

Share/Bookmark

Harp glissando for a live performance

I'm participating in a production where a chamber orchestra plays in an outdoor theatre. The piece requires a harp but because it's outdoors and there's no warm storage available we don't want to use a real harp but a keyboard player who can easily take the instrument with him.

Playing harp glissandos is somewhat tricky and there's a lot of those in the piece. I was thinking about mapping the required scale to the white keys and the player would just play a jazz piano glissando between two notes that he would mark in his score. Any other ideas?

Will the remapping be possible on a Triton 61 / PRO 76 or Motif 7 / Motif 8? These are the models that are easily available. The Motif 8 has a weighted keyboard which might not be helpful in this case. I've downloaded the manuals and will look into this but I thought that someone might have experience with these keyboards. I'm trusting that the harp sounds will be tolerable on any of these keyboards.

Re: Harp glissando for a live performance

I just posted this post the other day on the Garritan forum,
    but this is something I really think will answer your dilema.

You would have to use a laptop with a sequencing program running,
    with all the necessary "harp packets" already loaded.
    These "harp packets" will be explained in the link at the bottom of this post.

If you don't own GPO, it is incredibly inexpensive... like 200 bucks.
    The keyboard player who is doing the harp glissandi would simply make sure the proper midi track is turned on, and then strum his/her fingers across the white keys of the midi keyboard live, and it would produce the proper chords.

Here's the link to my post.

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...70&postcount=6

Dan

Just to add to Dan's post ..
    Are to taking a computer on stage? If not, then you will have to do as you already said - remap each glissando into its own patch on the keyboard.
    If you are also using a computer, then the Harp packets will work great (but only in GPO's special "Glissando Harp" patches ... doesn't work on a normal chromatic patch).
    Another possibility, if you have Kontakt 2 or 3. There are two excellent Harp scripts (I can't remember now, but I think they are even included), that do work with chromatic patches.
    If you have GPO and also Cubase SX(2 or 3) or Cubase 4, at risk of vaunting myself, I did create a (downloadable.. see below) method which is in fact a realtime version of the GPO harp packets .. select the desired gliss via a keyswitch (ideally from a 2nd keyboard .. I prepared enough glisses to use up a 61-note keyboard just for the keyswitches!), then gliss away to your heart's content on the other . (Changing glissando setups is quite a bit quicker that actually pedalling on a real harp ).
    If you're interested, here's the link to it (warning, it's a bit complicated to set up, but once you have done so, and saved your Cubase project, it will work "right out of the box" next time you load the Project )...

http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...ight=glissando

PS: Best of luck with the concerts anyways!
    Cubase 5.1 | Cubase 4.5.2 | Digital Performer 7.0 | Mac OSX 10.5.8 || Mac "MDD" dual 1GB | 1.75GB RAM | MOTU PCI-424/2408mk3 | MOTU MidiTimepice AV

Quote Originally Posted by janila View Post
    I'm participating in a production where a chamber orchestra plays in an outdoor theatre. The piece requires a harp but because it's outdoors and there's no warm storage available we don't want to use a real harp but a keyboard player who can easily take the instrument with him.

Playing harp glissandos is somewhat tricky and there's a lot of those in the piece. I was thinking about mapping the required scale to the white keys and the player would just play a jazz piano glissando between two notes that he would mark in his score. Any other ideas?

Will the remapping be possible on a Triton 61 / PRO 76 or Motif 7 / Motif 8? These are the models that are easily available. The Motif 8 has a weighted keyboard which might not be helpful in this case. I've downloaded the manuals and will look into this but I thought that someone might have experience with these keyboards. I'm trusting that the harp sounds will be tolerable on any of these keyboards.
    Hey... i'm realy lazy.. and when i programm i either use peter sidlaczecks "pre-chewed" harp lines (minor/ major), or i simply take a playable harp sample and simply run a basic gliss over the keyboard from the defined start key to the defined end key and then go into the velocities and have it crescendo... always sounds natural and does the trick...
    No remapping needed.. unless you want to... thing is you'd have to have several mapped alternatives... (a lot of work...)

good luck... LioNel
    lioNel

www.lionelwharton.de
    www.myspace.com/lionelwharton
    www.youtube.com/ludicrouslionel

Go Back to forum