• Register
  • Help

Topic: Capricious Clarinet mm 2

Share/Bookmark

Capricious Clarinet

A month or so ago I posted a piece I wrote back in 1979 called "The Capricious Clarinet". David Sosnowski suggested that it might be nice to add additional movements to extend the work. I have worked on a second movement to this complex alleatoric work and would like to share it with this community. I rendered it completely in Finale with a bit of tweaking on the com pression and convolution within the GPO KP2.

Movement II - The Capricious Clarinet

For those that missed the earlier first movement, here it is:

Movement I - The Capricious Clarinet

Here is the final movement to this set. I finished it today: August 25, 2008.

Movement III - The Capricious Clarinet

Let me know what you think.
    Last edited by wrayer; 08-25-2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added last movement
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Capricious Clarinet mm 2

Yes!

A perfect conclusionary postlude to the first movement,
    William... this fits together beautifully with it.

Again, compelling writing. This is proving to be a richly
    productive vein for you, my friend... congratulations
    on a truly fine set for the clarinet and piano -- to which
    I've listened with much pleasure several times, now.

With admiration,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David, it's always nice to have you comment on my writing. I am thinking of extending this to a four movement work (can't really call it a sonata). The tird mm would be a slow introspective movement and the fourth would return to the character and motives of the first (original) movement.

So folks, Stay tuned

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill

I listened to this the other day and was waiting to get in a second listen before replying and couldn't believe i had to go to the second page to find it. Things do go fast here sometimes.

This is my kind of music. It tells a story which can be completely individualized.

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Bill

I listened to this the other day and was waiting to get in a second listen before replying and couldn't believe i had to go to the second page to find it. Things do go fast here sometimes.

This is my kind of music. It tells a story which can be completely individualized.

Well done

Ron
    Yes, the room does fill up fast and I would imagine there are not many listeners that would appreciate this style of music. I am glad you are not one of those. The piece is designed, as you mentioned, to draw the listener into the creative aspect of the work. The 'story' is as you hear it with mood swings and emotional outbursts.

Thanks for listening Ron.

regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill,

This was an intriguing piece to listen too! Very appropriately named. A series of idiomatic tempo and rhythmic changes might help bring out the gregarious nature of the clarinet. I'd like to hear more of this piece.

Thanks for posting and best wishes,
    John

Quote Originally Posted by taylorchandler View Post
    Bill,

This was an intriguing piece to listen too! Very appropriately named. A series of idiomatic tempo and rhythmic changes might help bring out the gregarious nature of the clarinet. I'd like to hear more of this piece.

Thanks for posting and best wishes,
    John
    Thankyou John, I am glad you found this interesting. I will take your suggestions to heart. As a trumpet player, I find it intriguing to write intimately for another instrument.

Thanks for listening,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

I have posted in the original post the third and final movement.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum