• Register
  • Help

Topic: Getting KS to work properly in Finale 2009, Notation GJBB and GPO instruments.

Share/Bookmark

Getting KS to work properly in Finale 2009, Notation GJBB and GPO instruments.

I've had no success by entering a G2 or into my trumpet parts to get a bucket mute or an F2 to get a harmon mute.Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Re: Getting KS to work properly in Finale 2009, Notation GJBB and GPO instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    I've had no success by entering a G2 or into my trumpet parts to get a bucket mute or an F2 to get a harmon mute.Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steve,
    Make sure that human playback is turned on, then enter an expression such as "harmon" or "bucket"

HP sorts that out for you, but make sure it's on! If it is, we'll go from there!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: Getting KS to work properly in Finale 2009, Notation GJBB and GPO instruments.

Jim:
    I did everything you said and still no prize. I set up [Harmon] with a playback patch (60 is muted trumpet,) engage HP, write in an F2 either in the measure preceding or on a rest early in the measure and one of two things happen. It switches to Harmon but won't it come out with [Open] and a playback patch to 57 (trpt) and a C2 written in, or the most prevalent occurrence is that NOTHING happens.
    Thanks for trying to help me.

Steve

Make sure you are using instruments from the 9. Notation folder as well.

These are SPECIFICALLY designed for use within Finale.

If I recall correcly, the Notation set do not use the same keyswitches.. and G2 and F2 will NOT work with HumanPlayback.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus View Post
    Jim:
    I did everything you said and still no prize. I set up [Harmon] with a playback patch (60 is muted trumpet,) engage HP, write in an F2 either in the measure preceding or on a rest early in the measure and one of two things happen. It switches to Harmon but won't it come out with [Open] and a playback patch to 57 (trpt) and a C2 written in, or the most prevalent occurrence is that NOTHING happens.
    Thanks for trying to help me.

Steve
    Steve,
    You're working too hard! If HP is on, there is NO need to define anything. HP will recognize it automatically. Nor is there a need to write the Keyswitch note itself. HP knows how to send the proper MIDI message.
    Also make sure that your staff is labelled TRUMPET, and ideally create the staff from the wizard. HP also picks up info from the staff name, so if you named your staff "Miles," HP isn't smart enough to sort that out.

After your first post, I double-checked and all was well, using both jazz font and the regular one. Jazz font already has expressions for harmon, straight, cup, and open. I had to create a couple for the other font, but they both worked.

After I get back from seeing Harvey Phillips today, I can send you a file in which it works.

But in the meantime, try again and do less work. Let HP take care of it!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

qccowboy;
    Make sure you are using instruments from the 9. Notation folder as well.
    Yes. Should I be using KP2 (or K2, which I prefer,) as well?

If I recall correcly, the Notation set do not use the same keyswitches.. and G2 and F2 will NOT work with HumanPlayback.
    According to the keyboard at the bottom of the Jazz KS Trumpet, the KS notes are off of my piano. Where are the new KS pitches?

"Bewildered in Bellingham" (Steve)

Jim:
    After I get back from seeing Harvey Phillips today, I can send you a file in which it works.
    Please say "hello" to Harvey for me. I did some writing for him about 150 years ago, as I did for Winston Morris (TennTech). I had never heard the tune "Gregory Is Here" until my exposure to Rich Matteson's Tuba Consortium. "Basie an octave lower" is one of my favorite comments by Rich.

I will try to heed your advice and ease up a bit. It's sometimes difficult for us old dogs to learn new tricks.

Steve

Go Back to forum