• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Film music course - opinions

Share/Bookmark

Film music course - opinions

Hi - has anyone done this seminar? Opinions, recommendations or critiques appreciated!

Getting music into film and tv

Re: Film music course - opinions

I did the Scott Smalley class and it was the best $$ I ever spent! If this class is even close to that, you will be very pleased!

Peace

rikp

Never heard of the instructor and his IMDB doesn't really say much. I can say that Scott Smalley workshop is great, but it's more about orchestration. There is the ASCAP Buddy Baker Workshop every summer in NYC and I think one at USC too.

-bdjazz

The problem with these courses (in my opinion), is that while they may give a general knowledge about some broad concepts of getting into the business of film composing...there is no magical secret info learned at these events that will jump start anyone's career in the biz. So you have to weigh the cost of the course (especially if that includes travel expenses)...to the info you will actually gain.

For example, while the info they give on putting out a demo CD can be valid in certain circumstances...it is ultimately just an opinion. I could go out and find opposite opinions from other respected individuals in the business. And rarely does anyone hire a composer from a blind demo CD sent out. For the projects that matter...it is usually from word of mouth recommendation from someone the hiring individual trusts. Or...simply a case of wanting "the guy who did that show...", etc...

This business is all about relationships and trust. And those things take years to build. YEARS! You have to build your reputation for doing work as a department head (not assistant, but the actual credited composer) on successful projects. To get bigger and better department head jobs, one needs a successful track record at being a department head...which the composer is. That takes a long time to do and quite frankly, a locality to where post production happens for films...which is Los Angeles.

In the case of the Scott Smalley orchestration course...I believe it is invaluable. But the general "breaking into the biz" stuff...I am not so enthusiastic about.
    Regards,
    Brian W. Ralston

Check out my new FREE iPhone App! Click Here!

Both my wife and I attended this program and it is SO worthwhile. Probably the single most valuable part of the entire seminar is that you go home with two thick 1.5" books of full size orchestral scores to study. You just can't get this elsewhere.

You just need to go.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by peter269 View Post
    Both my wife and I attended this program and it is SO worthwhile. Probably the single most valuable part of the entire seminar is that you go home with two thick 1.5" books of full size orchestral scores to study. You just can't get this elsewhere.

You just need to go.
    Peter,

I believe the OP was asking about a Mark Northam-delivered course about breaking into the biz and I believe the two books you listed are just for the Smalley course, and to my knowledge do not come with the Northam course. Other people were immediately talking about the Smalley course so it made it look like the OP was talking about the Smalley course.

Mike

I haven't attended this one day seminar, but from the content, I haven't seen anything else similar to it outside of taking an extended program with UCLA Extension in LA.

So all I can say is that it looks good, and knowing Mark, he'll jam it with content.

But again, not been to this one.

I apologize for misreading the question.

PA
    Peter L. Alexander

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Brian, I take your points about there being no magic wand, or day seminar, to create long-term relationships, which is really where its at. Im going anyway, because of:

1. Peters recommendation
    2. 'It cant hurt'
    3. I need to get away from home for a few days.

I will give you a fair rundown when I return!

I like #3. A lot!
    Peter L. Alexander

any links to Scott's Smalley's class?

Go Back to forum