• Register
  • Help

Topic: CoMB: Pushing Instruments To Channel 17+

Share/Bookmark

Question CoMB: Pushing Instruments To Channel 17+

As I work more and more with trying to get the sound I want, I'm finding out that for the sake of percussion, I'm having to load the VDL Drumlines into separate channels instead of relying on channel 10.

When I load CoMB as a VST instrument in Finale, I click the 17-32 button and try to load, say, the Snare line on that screen instead of 01-16. But no matter what I do, it still loads it into the channels 01-16 screen. I edited the instrument on my score to put the Snare Line on channel 17 but it still loads on the 01-16 screen.

Now, I can get what I want if I load CoMB into the Finale VST Setup as channels 17-32 (have a 2nd instance) and then remember that channel 1=17, 2=18, etc. but was trying to figure out the point if I can't use the 17-32 (or 33-48, 49-64) slot(s) of the SoftSynth. :/

I'm also wondering if this will work out better since I have the FULL VDL 2.5 coming and it will have it's own Kontakt Player.

Any ides?

Thanks!
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings
    Voice: 573-840-0653
    Fax: 573-727-6511

Question Re: CoMB: Pushing Instruments To Channel 17+

Excellent answer! Makes perfect sense and sounds just like I expected. I just need to break myself of 'General MIDI Standards' and expand my Horizons a bit and be more open in the way that I try and get my music done.

Thanks!!
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

Re: CoMB: Pushing Instruments To Channel 17+

VST standard doesn't allow more than 16 MIDI channels for each plugin now matter which host you're using. The newer VST 3 standard allows more channels but the VST needs to be re-written to support this. Most host are not VST3.

For more channels, just open up another instance.

Jim

<Starts Chanting>

'It IS OK to treat percussion like the other instruments and put them on their own tracks with their own channels and with their own samples...'

<Stops Chanting>
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    yeah, that's what I was getting at!

stick around Jim - I may need to have that beat into my head a few more times, lol

Jon
    Okay - is there ANY way to have a notation prgram with 84 instrument staves and have them all sound simultaneously?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Okay - is there ANY way to have a notation prgram with 84 instrument staves and have them all sound simultaneously?
    Six instances of CoMB (if you want separate channels) and a REALLY POWERFUL PC?

I know I've never done anything that big. The biggest project I've done (so far) has only been maxed at 32 Staves.
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

Quote Originally Posted by jhale1966 View Post
    Six instances of CoMB (if you want separate channels) and a REALLY POWERFUL PC?

I know I've never done anything that big. The biggest project I've done (so far) has only been maxed at 32 Staves.
    Good point - I am putting together a dual core 8 gig RAM system. I'll install Finale 2009 and Garritan libraries.

Now, being a musician and not a computger expert - what the heck IS an instance?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Good point - I am putting together a dual core 8 gig RAM system. I'll install Finale 2009 and Garritan libraries.

Now, being a musician and not a computger expert - what the heck IS an instance?
    If you go into the Finale (2009) VST Setup, you'll see slots for channels 1-16, 17-32, etc. Each one can hold an 'instance' of the player. So if you load up 3 different CoMB's, you have 3 instances of CoMB that you can work with.

There was an article somewhere (might have even been on this forum) on how people were 'spreading the wealth' of having something like the 1st players in the first instance, 2nd players in the second, etc. Had something to do with allowing the CPU to spread things out better and the samples would sound more 'lifelike'.
    Jim Hale
    Hale Recordings

8 GB RAM is overkill for Finale. Since Finale is 32 bit software it can't access more than 4 GB at the very most (on a 64 bit system). On a 32 bit system (WinXP Home/Pro/Vista 32) the real, OS imposed limit is 2 GB (2-3 GB with the /3GB switch activated and Finale made LargeAddressAware).

Go Back to forum