• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 4 and Kontakt Player 2

Share/Bookmark

Sonar 4 and Kontakt Player 2

I like that Kontakt Player 2 will load up to 64 instruments per instance, but I cannot seem to find a way to tell Sonar 4 to see more than the first 16. I only have a single port midi interface (M-Audio Audiophile 2496 PCI). Do I need to have a multi-port midi interface to take advantage of this feature? I have also downloaded and tried the latest Sonar 7 demo, still has the same problem. Any thoughts would help!

Thanks,

Troy

Re: Sonar 4 and Kontakt Player 2

Hi Troy,

That's a limitation of the VST format. There's an excellent discussion on this matter that addresses exactly this point right here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62321

If I had a multi-port midi interface would that allow it work, or would I still need to have multiple instance of the Kontakt Player? Also, would inserting it as a dxi rather than vsti?

Troy

You'll still need multiple instances. That midi port on the Audiophile has to do with hardware connections in and out of the computer (and, by extension, to Sonar), not Sonar's internal software connections. The KP2 VST loads within Sonar. Think of it as an output port from Sonar's MIDI world to its audio section. The MIDI specifications define a port to be composed of sixteen individual channels. As up until recently VSTs were defined as a single port, they're restricted to those sixteen channels of MIDI input and output.

DXi and VST are similar plug-in formats. The two are very similar in performance and capabilities. DXi is Windows only, but obeys the same port restrictions.

Would using another sequencer (Cubase 4 Essentials) allow this feature to work correctly? I currently have a P4 3GHz with1GB of RAM. I would like to try to put off an investment in a new machine for a bit, would adding some more RAM solve some of the issues?

Thanks,

Troy

Just open another instance of KP2 which is the easiest way to go and cheapest! I would recommend upgrading to at least 2 GB of memory.

Jim

Go Back to forum