• Register
  • Help

Topic: 24-bit alongside 16-bit

Share/Bookmark

24-bit alongside 16-bit

One question regarding the Steinway;

Does anybody know if it is possible to install the 16-bit samples of a perspective alongside the 24-bit samples? I want to use the 24-bit version for the most part, but I get occasional clipping..
    Halvor

Re: 24-bit alongside 16-bit

I don't know about the installation, but can you explain the comment about clipping? Problems with clipping are not usually associated with bit-depth.

If your signal is being clipped, you need to identify the point in your audio chain where that is happening. If you have very loud dense chords in your work, you might want to turn down the level at the plugin itself, and make up any gain at your master, if necessary.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Skysaw View Post
    I don't know about the installation, but can you explain the comment about clipping? Problems with clipping are not usually associated with bit-depth.

If your signal is being clipped, you need to identify the point in your audio chain where that is happening. If you have very loud dense chords in your work, you might want to turn down the level at the plugin itself, and make up any gain at your master, if necessary.

Sorry, due to my limited English, I sometimes use the wrong words. I didn't mean "clipping" but "clicks" and "pops (?)". These artifacts mostly disappear when i turn the buffer size up quite a bit, but the accuracy of the recording often suffer from this.

I should probably mention that my soundcard is an somewhat old Audigy 2 zs. Would I benefit from changing it out with a new card? The rest og my computer is actually quite up to date (Vista32, quad core CPU and 4 gig ram)
    Halvor

Ah, ok. This makes sense now. Clicks probably do mean you are pushing the card too hard with the higher bit depth.

I would guess that a card upgrade would do well for you. It sounds like your system should be able to handle it fairly well, but an old Audigy might not. Considering you shelled out the money for the professional version, it would probably be worth it to you to research a new sound card.

But there are other things that can cause the problem too, such as an IRQ conflict, or even just being connected to the internet. I have a very up-to-date system, but I have to disable the internet otherwise I get a tiny click about every 60 seconds. I don't mind it so much since I usually don't need internet on my workstation.

But once it's off, I am able to get the 24-bit Steinway playing along with an entire full GPO orchestra with no artifacts whatsoever inside of Sonar. That includes winds in threes as well as several instances of Perfect Space convolution reverb.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum