• Register
  • Help

Topic: Strad Legato/Port doesn't work

Share/Bookmark

Strad Legato/Port doesn't work

Help!

I have to confess... I've had the Strad for about a year now, and finally got around to installing it on my (very capable) PC...

BUT, upon loading the Stradivarius 2.0 (or 1.08 too) into KP2, I cannot seem to get portamento/legato (normal mode) working. All notes play when I release one note before the next (if I play staccato), but when I play legato, the first note plays, the next does not, the third plays, the fourth does not, etc. The indicator box on the screen suggests that I'm switching from mono to partial/complete portamento, etc. but there is no sound.

Poly key switch mode works fine.

I have absolutely no problem with the Gofriller... only the Strad.

I have tried filtering every midi message but note, expression, volume, aftertouch, and sustain (so there is not some weird note-off thing happening??).

I have tried fiddling with the settings in the plugin.

I have tried reinstalling it.

I have the latest DLL files in system32 (and removed the old ones).

Help!! Did I get a dud installation disc? The NKX file is 745MB in size.

-Chris

Re: Strad Legato/Port doesn't work

Hi,

I'm sorry to see nobody respond here-these old strings don't seem to get much attention these days. I have and love the strad and it has worked well for me for several years. The problem you have may be due to lack of expression (CC11 I think) which causes the sustain to carry on. In legato I guess there would be no note sound at all. Detache at least you would get the attack. Otherwise it should be like your gofriller. There were some posts on what was called silent strad syndrome a while ago. I do not remember the solution (I think there was an additional download). You can find it by searching the forum archives (maybe back 2 years). Better yet just call Gary, they do a great job solving problems on the phone as well. Good luck,

Paul

I believe there's a patch that resolves this issue. I running version 2.01. This Strad should behave like the Gofriller.

Jim

It's not a problem with CC11...

It's also not the silent strad problem -- I'm running 2.01 too. in fact the versions of the two DLLs that are installed are later than what the patch provides.

I guess nobody even cares about this software. What a waste...

Gary Garritan... someone... anybody out there seen anything like this??

Quote Originally Posted by ctmartin View Post
    Help!

I have to confess... I've had the Strad for about a year now, and finally got around to installing it on my (very capable) PC...

BUT, upon loading the Stradivarius 2.0 (or 1.08 too) into KP2, I cannot seem to get portamento/legato (normal mode) working. All notes play when I release one note before the next (if I play staccato), but when I play legato, the first note plays, the next does not, the third plays, the fourth does not, etc. The indicator box on the screen suggests that I'm switching from mono to partial/complete portamento, etc. but there is no sound.

Poly key switch mode works fine.

I have absolutely no problem with the Gofriller... only the Strad.

I have tried filtering every midi message but note, expression, volume, aftertouch, and sustain (so there is not some weird note-off thing happening??).

I have tried fiddling with the settings in the plugin.

I have tried reinstalling it.

I have the latest DLL files in system32 (and removed the old ones).

Help!! Did I get a dud installation disc? The NKX file is 745MB in size.

-Chris
    Chris,

Have you tried playing a midi file with overlapped notes? Same results or is it only with your keyboard?

Good idea... I will try that and report back! Thank you.

Oddly, YES it does work from the sequencer!

But I'm trying to understand why I have no problem with the Gofriller, but I do with the Strad. Same control values coming from the controller -- expression, sustain, note, aftertouch, mod wheel.

I would really love to play this as a *performance*, rather than program notes in a sequencer!

Is there anything I should be looking at here? Why would my controller be working with the Gofriller perfectly, but not the Strad? Isn't it the same software/script behind each?

Quote Originally Posted by ctmartin View Post
    Oddly, YES it does work from the sequencer!

But I'm trying to understand why I have no problem with the Gofriller, but I do with the Strad. Same control values coming from the controller -- expression, sustain, note, aftertouch, mod wheel.

I would really love to play this as a *performance*, rather than program notes in a sequencer!

Is there anything I should be looking at here? Why would my controller be working with the Gofriller perfectly, but not the Strad? Isn't it the same software/script behind each?
    I'm sure the scripts are similiar but the Gofriller scripts being released after the Strad most likely have improvements. It is a conundrum though, I wouldn't think the detection of overlaped notes would have changed. Are the other controls (aftertouch, velocity, expression, modwheel) working correctly? If so can you exagerate the note overlapping to see if that helps. May not be an answer for live play but at least it will pin down the problem.

Oh God, how embarassing. Here it is: friggin' MIDI thru on ProTools... something I always keep off, but somehow the settings got changed.

Odd though that it didn't at all affect the Gofriller, but maybe it's programmed to reject note-on's that come so close to another...

Ah well, thank you guys.

Go Back to forum