• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Question for Maarten

Share/Bookmark

Question for Maarten

I have searched the forum and your web page for answers, but no luck. Sorry to use this route, and maybe someone else has an answer too. Sorry to be a bother.

After downloading and using the fantastic \"Sams Horns\" (ThankyouThankyouThankyou!) I have been trying to download the timpani with no luck. \"Save As\" does not work, I have used Netscape and Explorer, but all I get is a page of goblygook, and all attempts to save that as a rar file ends with WinRar saying it is corrupted and it ain\'t unpacking that stuff nohow. So what is the secret to downloading the timpani file???

Re: Question for Maarten

A few people have had this problem and there are some posts about it on the board but I got around it by using Gozilla. I just single click on the link for the timpani and Gozilla kicked in and got the file for me.

The timps are very useful and find myself using them a quite a lot!

Hope this works for you.

Adrian

------------------
    Chetham\'s School of Music exists to educate exceptionally gifted young musicians.

Where are the horns? I thought only trumpets were available...

Thanks,
    Martin

Thanks Adrian H. Guess I will try that.

Sorry, not horns, Trumpets. But I AM looking forward to the FHorns!

------------------
    Doyle W. Donehoo
    Radar Music
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusic.html

Yo Adrian,

I FINALLY was able to download this timpani file. This is how I did it: I did indeed install the chatty GoZilla, then attempted the download. No luck. More futzing about. Then when I tried again and got the goblygook page, I copied the address of the file location and pasted it into the GoZilla download file box, and whatdoyouknow, it downloaded. Then it unpacked in WinRar. Then I tested it in gig. It worked! Great. And very nice Maarten! I will be getting your lib when it is ready. Thanks to all.

------------------
    Doyle W. Donehoo
    Radar Music
    http://www.sierra-trails.com/radarmusic.html

It\'s weird... my guess was that these days every PC and Mac user would be using some kind of download manager program, like GetRight. If you run a program like this, it catches the downloadable url\'s you click in your browser and takes over from there. That way you don\'t get the stupid IE Ascii code lists when trying to download the timpani or trumpets.

But apparently some people still download with the built-in IE/Windows download window. I don\'t know, perhaps this is because they want to keep their music/audio-workstations clean...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dwdonehoo:
    Yo Adrian,

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Enough of the Rocky references!

------------------
    Chetham\'s School of Music exists to educate exceptionally gifted young musicians.

[This message has been edited by Adrian H (edited 02-25-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maarten Spruijt:
    But apparently some people still download with the built-in IE/Windows download window. I don\'t know, perhaps this is because they want to keep their music/audio-workstations clean...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nonono, Maarten (hey hey),
    you are now turning this upside down. This is related to how the link and the site are coded. It has nothing to do with Internet Explorer! I have just checked with Opera 6 and with Netscape 6. Same symptoms with getting the Rar right in the browser as a pile of Ascii characters...

Also, you shouldn\'t rely on the fact that some people use download managers.

I\'ll try to see if I can find some general guidelines for presenting file types for download that are not commonly registered through MIME.

With a little help from each other we should all be able to download with the right-click-rename-html-to-rar action.

Anywayz, no offense, keep samplin\'!
    Cheers,

Peter

Hi again,

Maarten, I think have found out what you can do about this download confusion.

I will send you an e-mail in private, otherwise we\'ll get into too much technical doodah. In short, it has to do with information that the HKU web server sends about the .Rar and .R0x files when users click on the link. It can be fixed if you upload a special file to your webserver.

We\'ll post the outcome later, I hope.

Cheers all,

Peter

Ah, ok.

Thanks Peter.

I take back my download-manager-critics.

Go Back to forum