• Register
  • Help

Topic: Using the mod-wheel for volume/timbre ?

Share/Bookmark

Using the mod-wheel for volume/timbre ?

I am thinking of buying Garritan to work with Sonar 6XL I have.

The other products I am looking at are EastWest Gold.

GPO looks more interesting to me because of the price, but I am put off a bit because someone told me that I have to use the mod-wheel for volume control and not go off key-velocity. Is this right?
    (I like to play two-handed!)

Also, one other question is: how much work do I have to do "in post"? Eg: add reverb, work with panning etc etc to get it to sound really good.
    Has anyone got any comments? (I don't know yet how to manipulate panning etc to achieve higher quality, other the other post effects I have to add)

(ps: I am a video editor really (!) with some music knowledge and don't consider myself more than intermediate skill level. I'd like to produce good soundtracks for my videos.)

Re: Using the mod-wheel for volume/timbre ?

GPO in general is easier to use the EW Gold as you don't need to play with a bunch of articulations for most songs except the strings. GPO also has a legato mode that EW Gold doesn't have.

With Gold you will still need to use something to control volume besides velocity. It uses either CC11 or CC7 (expression or volume) as well as velocity for volume control. Since Gold only has about 3 velocity levels for most of the instruments, using velocity alone causes large jumps in volume and timbre. GPO use velocity to control the attack of the note and uses modulation (CC1) to control both volume and timbre. I personally prefer the CC1 control over most of the other libraries combination of velocity and volume controls. I find it easier to get a balanced sound.

Jim

The mod wheel is critical for a realistic sound. You can't crescendo or diminuendo a single note on velocity alone!
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Quote Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    GPO looks more interesting to me because of the price, but I am put off a bit because someone told me that I have to use the mod-wheel for volume control and not go off key-velocity. Is this right?
    (I like to play two-handed!)
    Unlike the winds and string instruments, the keyboard instruments in GPO use key-velocity to control note attack and volume, rather than the mod-wheel.

Ken

One thing that excites me about GPO is that users share their .CWP Cakewalk project files.
    Is this a good way of learning how others enhance their compositions?

Does anyone else have GPO and Sonar Studio?
    Have you found analysing these project files useful?

ps; couldn't you add in the volume controls as a midi envelope in post?

Quote Originally Posted by Bansaw View Post
    couldn't you add in the volume controls as a midi envelope in post?
    Yes, you absolutely can! Just make sure you're using the envelop to control CC#1 and not CC#7 (MIDI volume).

In Sonar, I usually draw the controllers freehand in the piano roll view, but one could just as easily use an envelope.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Go Back to forum