• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Personal Orchestra and Saxophones

Share/Bookmark

Angry Garritan Personal Orchestra and Saxophones

I just bought Garittan Personal Orchestra and to my dismay I discovered that it does not include saxophone sounds (I know the list of the instruments are posted on the website, but I found it too late).

I write music for school orchestras, and guess what! Full orchestras in schools include saxophones. Now my Garittan Personal Orchestra is too personal for me!

Re: Garritan Personal Orchestra and Saxophones

GPO is based more on standard symphony orchestra instrumentation which usually doesn't include saxophones. Both the Jazz & Big Band and Concert & Marching Band include saxophones. The Concert & Marching Band library was designed around the instrumentation in many school concert bands which normally have large sections of each instrument.

Jim

Garritan "Concert and Marching Band" as well as Garritan "Jazz and Big Band" both have saxophones.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Garritan "Concert and Marching Band" as well as Garritan "Jazz and Big Band" both have saxophones.
    Yes, I realize that. I also realize that's an extra $200.00 just to add the saxophones!

Hi ab-usa,

Welcome to the Garritan forum on Northernsounds. Are you a Finale or Sibelius user? If so, the latest versions of these products contain subsets of Garritan libraries that include saxophones, which you can use alongside your full-fledged copy of GPO for playback. An upgrade to Finale 09 or Sibelius 5 can cost as little as $99, which would be a great bang-for-the-buck compromise (and get you an updated notation program!)

-Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by ab-usa View Post
    Yes, I realize that. I also realize that's an extra $200.00 just to add the saxophones!
    I'd chalk that one up to lesson learned, it happens to all of us in one form or another.

The suggestion for purchasing Finale or Sibelius is a great suggestion, especially given educational discounts. Either that or you can pick up new (and legit) copies of Concert and Marching Bands on eBay for $159. At least that is $41 better than $200.

In the spirit of making lemonade from lemons, you will find GPO and CaMB to be a more comprehensive solution that will open new avenues that just having concert band will not. The same goes for purchasing Finale / Sibelius.

All the best,

LFO
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hi ab-usa,

Welcome to the Garritan forum on Northernsounds. Are you a Finale or Sibelius user? If so, the latest versions of these products contain subsets of Garritan libraries that include saxophones, which you can use alongside your full-fledged copy of GPO for playback. An upgrade to Finale 09 or Sibelius 5 can cost as little as $99, which would be a great bang-for-the-buck compromise (and get you an updated notation program!)

-Reegs
    I do have Finale 2009 and it does have saxophone sounds, but the reason I purchased GPO, is because it has a more percussion sounds, whereas Finale 2009 just has the basics. Now I have two choices:
    1. Use Finale's Garittan sounds and do without the extra percussion.
    2. Use GPO and substitute the Saxophone with other sounds, which would be awful.
    I thought that GPO's library would just be added to Finale's, but this is not the case. GPO seems to be a stand alone collection. However, I wonder if there is a way to combine both libraries together!

How odd. I was just thinking about whether saxophones should be included in sampled orchestras this afternoon.

However, regarding your dismay, can you name some famous orchestral pieces that include saxophones off the top of your head? Seriously, can you?

They are few and far between.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    How odd. I was just thinking about whether saxophones should be included in sampled orchestras this afternoon.

However, regarding your dismay, can you name some famous orchestral pieces that include saxophones off the top of your head? Seriously, can you?

They are few and far between.

- k
    How about Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances.

Quote Originally Posted by ab-usa View Post
    However, I wonder if there is a way to combine both libraries together!
    This can be done quite easily. I don't have GPO yet, so I can't explain the details very well, but it involves copying the GPO dll file into the Finale VST Plugins directory. Much more information is available on the Finale website (http://www.finalemusic.com).

Specifically, visit their knowledge base (http://makemusic.custhelp.com/cgi-bi...er/std_alp.php) and the forums (http://forum.makemusic.com).

Between this forum and those resources, you will get both libraries working correctly in Finale.
    Best Regards,
    Ernie

Go Back to forum