• Register
  • Help

Topic: MediaFire

California Redwoods

Media Fire is similar to Box, but acceptable file size is much larger -- 100 Mb per file, and, I think, very generous file space. Anyone tried it?

The terms of use clearly state that you retain ownership, they claim no ownership rights. But, the following excerpt bothers me a little. I refer to the stipulation "irrevocable, perpetual"

>You may upload on the Services Content created by you or for which you have received express permission from the owner so that other users may view and download said Content. You assume all risk and liability for the Content you upload. You grant, transfer and assign to MediaFire and its successors, assigns and licensees, FOR THE SOLE PURPOSE of enabling us to make your Content available through the Service, a fully-paid, royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide right and license to publish, distribute, reproduce, transmit, use, translate and archive the Content. <

There is a link to terms of use at the very bottom of every page.

Terms of Service

Do I hear a platoon of readers all trying to comment at once on this provision? To me, it sounds like withdrawing a file is impossible.

Re: MediaFire

Yup, Irrevocable and perpetual for the purpose of archiving sounds that way.

Also pay close attention to the portion of the very ill-described termination clause (bolding is mine):

MediaFire Free Services are available to anyone over the age of 13, in observance of and compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, MediaFire Pro ("MediaPro") Services are available to anyone over the age of 18. Accounts for business entities must be created and maintained by an individual capable of and authorized to enter into binding contracts on behalf of the entity. Anyone using MediaFire Services must comply with the MediaFire Agreement, AUP and Privacy Policy. Anyone, including business entities, not in compliance may be removed and banned from the Services without prior notice. MediaFire reserves the right to terminate your access to any and/or all parts of the Services at any time for any reason without prior notice or liability. The terms of this Agreement, AUP and Privacy Policy shall survive any termination of your access to the Services.
    Which suggests to me that even after the terms of use are terminated by you or them, they still have their irrevocable, perpetual license to retain your content. From the nightmare standpoint of adjusting all archived and backed up copies, it's understandable, though a better termination agreement which included modifications to the granted license(s) to restrict it to an archived, non-distributable form would make me feel better.

I think the safest way to retain rights to your music is to host it yourself.

I like this part of it later on:

Light patterns, like those displayed when using the Services, may result in epileptic seizures in some people. Discontinue use of the Services, if advised by your physician or you experience epileptic symptoms.
    They've certainly got all of their bases covered.

Go Back to forum