• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Machine problems?

Share/Bookmark

Machine problems?

I have a PC that I bought about a year ago, but have only really just got around to using. After having it turned on for about an hour I noticed that the case/tower was getting quite hot in the vicinity of the fan. Is that normal?

I have two other machines, one in exactly the same tower (though with a different cooling arrangement), which run equally quietly, and with no noticeable heat. In fact my 'problem' machine really ought to be easier to cool, since it's the only multicore processor.

I had them replace the generic fan, that should have come with the motherboard, with a silent cooler. Clearly that cooler needs to get a bit warm, but should it really be transmitting so much to the tower? Or is it likely they've connected it wrong? Or that it simply isn't doing it's job? Given that it's not supposed to kick out air in the same way as a fan, I'm not sure how I would know if it wasn't doing much.

I know I should really contact the people who made the machine, but my experiences with them tell me that, at least if they think they can get away with it, they will initially try and claim that this is a feature, rather than a problem.
    David

Re: Machine problems?

I always feel some heat coming out of the back of the PS on my machines
    but it's all so relative. I'd not call them "quite hot" ... just noticeably warmer than room temp.

Do you have a way or reading the temperature of the CPU with a utility?
    It would be good to know where it's idling and how high it goes when stressed.

Are you feeling the heat coming out the back-top ... out of the power supply ... or out of the exhaust fan of the the case?

On some kit you can run a utility that shows you the temp of the chip and the boards and the speed of the fans. Have you got this? you might be able to get it from the motherboard manuf'r. I've got ASUS and the prog is called ASUS PR0BE. Check also the task manager app, it shows you the processor commitment, make sure that your not running something in the background that you weren't expecting.
    The silent cooler, does it have a fan that runs slowly. I've got a Zalman and it has variable speed that is set by the user. Mine will slow down to almost zero, but then everything starts to get hot.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Is the fan working on your power supply? You should feel it pushing the hot air out of the machine. The case should stay pretty cool if this fan is working. The CPU fan is only pushing the heat away from the CPU but it still needs to be expelled from the case which is what the power supply fan usually does. I also run an extra case fan pushing the heat from my CPU, video card and hard drives.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    Do you have a way or reading the temperature of the CPU with a utility?
    It would be good to know where it's idling and how high it goes when stressed.

Are you feeling the heat coming out the back-top ... out of the power supply ... or out of the exhaust fan of the the case?
    Thanks Steve,
    I can't really feel much coming out at all - I put my hand behind the grill at the top, on the rear of the machine, and there's very little airflow. Mainly it seems to be the tower getting hot, rather than the air.

I found a diagnostic utility that the manufacturer seems to have installed. Not sure how accurate it is, but it says the CPU is at 61C. That wasn't at total idling, but I wasn't really placing much demand on it either - just ran Cubase, with one audio track, for about 10 minutes. Don't know whether that's within normal ranges.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    The silent cooler, does it have a fan that runs slowly. I've got a Zalman and it has variable speed that is set by the user. Mine will slow down to almost zero, but then everything starts to get hot.
    Not entirely sure. I vaguely remember they couldn't supply the cooler I ordered, so they phoned me and got permission to fit a different one.

It does appear that it must have a fan - there's a dial on the back that lights up progressive LEDs as I turn it. But I can't hear a thing - and I can't detect any change of airflow as I turn it up. I think I may give the manufacturer a polite call on Monday morning.
    David

Hi Pingu,

Well ... all CPU temp ranges are different. With my AMDs 2000+ through 4000+ ... they average between 32C and 42C when idling and will peak with a stress at about 48C to 55C.

I'd google the ranges for your specific processor and make sure, but 61c seems a bit on the hot side for not doing anything strenuous.

All of my machines are set to thermal shutdown in the bios if they reach 70c and it's "rumored" they'll be damaged if run at 75C or higher for any length of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    Not entirely sure. I vaguely remember they couldn't supply the cooler I ordered, so they phoned me and got permission to fit a different one.

It does appear that it must have a fan - there's a dial on the back that lights up progressive LEDs as I turn it. But I can't hear a thing - and I can't detect any change of airflow as I turn it up. I think I may give the manufacturer a polite call on Monday morning.
    Sounds possibly like it might be a Zalman ... which are usually great.

My first guess is that they didn't apply the thermal grease correctly.
    Too much or too little can be problematic. It's a black art.

I would also check to see if you have airflow inside the box. If cables, etc. are not allowing air to flow freely heat will build up, the fan won't be pushing much air and you'll have temperature problems.

61 Celsius is getting hotter than what I would be comfortable with no matter what the processor. Be careful, much hotter and components will start to fry. (Literally! )

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum