This is a very basic question, but I\'m still learning my way around using samples, and would appreciate any help in expanding my knowledge. (And I know someone is going to tell me that sampling is a matter of art and intuition.)

Are there standard settings, from which each piano varies, for the ADSR rates\\volumes for pianos in general?

Would it be right to assume the exact settings are going to vary from piano to piano, and contribute to its personality, but that there are more or less predictable ranges for these settings and that there are predictable mathmatical relations between the various settings? (That a given sustain volume and length, without the sustain pedal down, for example, is always in about the same proportion to the length and volume of the decay? (I\'ve been working by ear when adjusting piano sounds and wondered...)

Or do the ratios vary greatly between individual pianos? (It occurs to me that the question of overtones comes in here, since the overtones in pianos seem to ring longer than the fundamental, and some pianos, such as Steinways, seem to bring out the overtones more.)

Along the same lines, do other acoustic instruments have similar ratios, if there are such ratios? For example, obviously, a guitar will reach its maximum volume immediately, but is the sustain volume usually in a more or less constant ratio to the rate of decay?

Thanks for any insights into what will seem a very elementary question to many of you. Sorry to ask such basic questions.