• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO/Finale Strings

Share/Bookmark

GPO/Finale Strings

Is there a limit to the length of time that the GPO Finale Edition strings can sustain. I've got a piece where they are supposed to sustain for about 7 seconds, but they cut off abruptly after about 4, and then come back in on the next note.

This happens both during live playback and the audio export.

Re: GPO/Finale Strings

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Is there a limit to the length of time that the GPO Finale Edition strings can sustain. I've got a piece where they are supposed to sustain for about 7 seconds, but they cut off abruptly after about 4, and then come back in on the next note.

This happens both during live playback and the audio export.
    Hi

I've not encountered this although I am using GPO full edition (ie not Finale edition). Which patch are you using?

Some samples in other libraries are recorded with finite duration and it is necessary to loop them but, as I say, I've not encountered this with GPO. Does it happen with any other patches? I'm wondering whether it might be a problem with memory or perhaps streaming from disk.

I think it more likely there's a problem with the score. Any hidden expressions or the like?

Regards,

Graham

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamKeitch View Post
    I've not encountered this although I am using GPO full edition (ie not Finale edition). Which patch are you using?
    Section Strings>Violins, Arco

Does it happen with any other patches? I'm wondering whether it might be a problem with memory or perhaps streaming from disk.
    I think some research may be in order. I'll have to check if other patches have the same problem. Right now only the first violins sustain a note long enough for it to be an issue.

I think it more likely there's a problem with the score. Any hidden expressions or the like?
    No, I don't use hidden expressions as a rule. If I need a score for presentation, I make a copy and delete out all the control information from the playback score.

I do have to admit that my style of music creation lends itself to cobbled-together files. For instance, I will often start in Sonar, play a free-time piano part, create a tempo track that follows the piano, and then import to MIDI to Finale to add the other parts. Then I will export the audio tracks for the GPO instruments and send all the MIDI back to Sonar for final tracking and mixing.

For the time being I've patched up the situation with a simple digital audio cut and paste. I was hoping that this would be a simple flick of a switch like my last Garritan problem was.

Thanks, Graham, for the help.

I use Finale 2009 as a "scratch" pad for composing and
    I have never had a problem with strings cutting out after
    4 seconds. I've had string ensembles play 6-7 measures
    with no problems on playback.

If you haven't done so, go to the MakeMusic Forum and
    post your problem. You will get in-depth help from users
    worldwide.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    I use Finale 2009 as a "scratch" pad for composing and I have never had a problem with strings cutting out after 4 seconds. I've had string ensembles play 6-7 measures with no problems on playback.
    Just curious, Jack, was that 6-7 measures of a single, sustained note? That's where my problem lies.

I thought I'd come here first, since it's a GPO issue at it's root, but will give the Finale forum a shot, as well.

I tried to play the slow movement of the Schubert Quintet, this is very slow and the 2nd violin kept stopping and starting, obviously at the end of a bow stroke from up to down. This is not the effect I wanted or the effect I hear on a recording. This is probably what you are getting but Finale doesn't play the second bowing.
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Go Back to forum