• Register
  • Help

Topic: garritan steinway vs ewql?

garritan steinway vs ewql?

I own the Garritan, which sounds great to me. But I heard a demo of the ewql Steinway the other day. Also sounds great.

Does anyone own both? How do they compare for, say, classical rep?

Re: garritan steinway vs ewql?

John -

I have the Garritan Official Steinway (Professional version) and while it sounds good, it is certainly lacking in the playability department, at least for my style - New Age.

The challenge for me is to get things sounding soft enough, and balanced - accomp. vs. melody.

My problem is two fold: (a) the Steinway has very few useable settings for velocity curve, with too great a difference between them, and (b) my controller (Roland HP-207) also has very few settings for velocity curve. So, between the two, I can't actually edit a proper velocity curve.

I too am considering EWQLP, and while the demos sound very good (even after repeated auditioning), I wonder about how powerful the settings are for shaping the velocity curve.

PS - John - How many years have we been at this?
    Melodialworks Music
    Music for Relaxation and Inspiration

How many?

You know the answer..... too....m.....

I came across some velocity curve modifying software that I really like, and here's the link: http://www.trombettworks.com/velocity.php

It's quite flexible, and really changes keyboard response, probably the best piece of freeware I've ever used!

Dell Core2Duo E7200, 3GB Ram, SATA 160GB, SATA 250GB, Yamaha KX88 controller, Cubase Essential 4, Gigastudio 3.

Galaxy has five built in velocity curves, which can be reshaped by turning a knob. There are also three "split" curves, providing 4, 5, and 6 zones. I haven't tried them.

I think that users can also construct their own velocity curves in the Velocity Editor.

The Galaxy II does indeed allow a great deal of velocity curve shaping (including offset) in the box, and it is very tweak able overall.

However, after having spent a lot of time with the Galaxy II Bösdendorfer DE, I was surprised by how "chunky" it sounded in arpeggiated lines compared to some of the competitors. It strikes me as a library better suited to chords and more dry/rhythmic pieces rather than flowing ones and has prompted me to look even more closely at the Bluthner DMO than I had before.

Go Back to forum