• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Chili Peppers & Gumbo

Share/Bookmark

Chili Peppers & Gumbo

Hi everyone. I just finished working on this new one last night and thought I would share it with all of you. It is a combo (meaning it doesn't stick with one specific genre) and it is in the style of Louisiana Jazz/Swing. I didn't have a working title for it until I actually listened to the finished piece, then it just popped in my head.

Hope you enjoy it.

Here is the link

http://www.box.net/shared/npvkyxa481

Re: Chili Peppers & Gumbo

Don't know what Gumbo is, but about those Chili Peppers they are great.... make more of this please, I will come having a diner with you and your family. Spicy, upbeaten, and this piece is unbeatable!!!!!!

By the way after being finished the next piece starts automatically (El. Rigby).

Raymond-really peppered by this......!

This piece takes me to a smoky club in the French Quarter on a hot July night. Nicely rendered. Could have added some trumpet falls. Nice sequence of ideas.

Best Wishes,
    John

Outstanding!

Is this your original work? What sample libraries did you use? The guitar sounds very real. Is it?

Enjoyed it. Let us know more about your music background.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very well done!
    Experience what is necessary to build upon self character, for that is Life's most significant learning event.

Night Owl
    I just finished working on this new one last night and thought I would share it with all of you. It is a combo (meaning it doesn't stick with one specific genre) and it is in the style of Louisiana Jazz/Swing.
    [quote]
    Outstanding! It is quite evident that you're well steeped in jazz and big band writing. Do you have a group that will play this? If not, I know two groups right that would love to have this chart.
    In this instance I'm not sure about your use of the word "combo." I was expecting a trio or a sextet, etc. This in no way detracts from the piece itself, but only shows my obsession with semantics.

I didn't have a working title for it until I actually listened to the finished piece, then it just popped in my head.
    Having spent 50 years in Alabama one night, I am quite familiar with gumbo (okra laden,) and my #2 son is married to a girl from Acapulco, so bring on the chili peppers.
    I'd like to know more about you, your background, etc.
    Great chart!

sosmus (Steve)

Hi everyone, and thanks for all the nice comments!

I guess I should tell everyone a little about my music background so here goes...

I played in high school jazz band my junior and senior year, which was many years ago. After high school, I played with a few local bands, nothing professional, just bar/club type performances. I took piano lessons for 2 years, and dropped out because I didn't really like the piano instructor. I know, not a real excuse but, she (the instructor) wanted me to "learn" Mozart and I wanted to play jazz and write my own style.

I lived in New Orleans for 10 years, from 1990 to 2000, during that time, I took up playing again with a few of the "local" perfeormers on Bourbon St. and in the french quarter. I learned alot from all of them, especially, the jazz/swing type music New Orleans is famous for. Thats pretty much my music background.

I just recently started composing using DAW'S and I am really a greenhorn but I'm learning.

The sample libraries I used are:

Reason (symphonic Brass)
    Big Fish Audio (L.A. Drum session)
    GPO (Steinway B)
    Applied Acoustic Systems (String Studio) For the guitar samples

I used Reason for my final mixdown and used Voxengo Pristine Space for my IR'S.

I'm glad everyone who has had a listen to my piece has enjoyed it as much as I did composing it!

Sorry for the long delay in responding to everyone but I've been working alot since my post. I will have more time to personally respond to everyone's comments soon. Thank you all again for your time!

Mikki

Mikki,

Excellent! Great! Fantastic!

The mixing is impressive. The rhythm section is enough in front to be clear, but not overwhelming. The drums are particularly impressive; they don't sound like loops at all. In my experience, recording a drum track like that from samples is almost impossible for anyone except a drummer. Do you play a traps set? I wish I could do that with a set of drum samples.

The bass work makes things swing without being obtrusive. Sweet.

The section work is also first-rate. Tight, but swingingly loose at the same time.

The solos are good, solid, but not first-rank soloists. The trumpet and piano stick too close to the melody presented by the ensemble section work. That's not really a criticism, just an observation. It all sounds of-a-piece.

Wow! I loved it and would like to see the chart.

Have you considered sending this to whomever is leading the current Basie ghost band? I'm not sure who that is now, they might just buy it.

Mikki:

Just "real" outstanding. The brass is overwhelmingly good-sounding,
    the guitar sounds like a real player, and the percussion is awesome.

Love this chart. Give us some more when you have time.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Everything shines well in this.

I also use multiple libaries and know how difficult it can sometimes be to get them all to work together correctly.

You have a great piece here.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast