• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Encounter with the Event Horizon

Share/Bookmark

Encounter with the Event Horizon

It used to be that everytime I composed a new piece, it became my favorite and IMO was my best work to date. Lately I haven't felt that way.

This one brings back that feeling.

I tried to take a little theme and then pass it around and then vary it a number of times thru note variations and tempo changes.

Did I succeed or is it a bit too repetitive?

This was entered into Sonar 7 Studio by playing each of the instruments on my keyboard. Then lots of cc work to get the right presentation.

Here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/s1kux2j98j

The samples are GPO and others. The main Oboe in the beginning is the GPO Classical solo. Discerning ears should recognize all of the other GPO instruments. In one of the many of the tutorials here, I read that to get that real sound it helps to take the solo instruments and build with them. I did that and added them on top of a couple of other libraries, tryin to get that "in the auditorium" sound.

Comments are appreciated

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thumbs up Re: Encounter with the Event Horizon

It's great! I listened to it loop while eating dinner, it's quiet peacefulness goes well with a relaxing evening, and it's dynamic moments allowed my imagination to soar. Nice work Ron! I didn't think it seemed too repetitive.

David

Re: Encounter with the Event Horizon

This is outstanding, cinematic work, Mr. Ron. I enjoyed it. Let us hear more.

Best regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

David
    I hope you enjoyed your dinner as much as I enjoyed composing this one.

Mr Larry

I envisioned this as a score for a Discovery/Science Channel type show so cinematic works well.

Thanks guys

Ron

Ron:
    It used to be that everytime I composed a new piece, it became my favorite and IMO was my best work to date. Lately I haven't felt that way. This one brings back that feeling.
    I have no idea of how many pieces you have written but my opinion is that this one should certainly be in the top 10%.

Did I succeed or is it a bit too repetitive?
    You succeeded, and then some.
    This was entered into Sonar 7 Studio by playing each of the instruments on my keyboard. samples are GPO and others. The main Oboe in the beginning is the GPO Classical solo. Discerning ears should recognize all of the other GPO instruments.
    I listened in awe trying to find the words to express myself. I don't know which I admire the most: your compositional skills or your mastery of the Sonar 7, GPO, et.al.[quote]
    In one of the many of the tutorials here, I read that to get that real sound it helps to take the solo instruments and build with them. I did that and added them on top of a couple of other libraries, trying to get that "in the auditorium" sound.
    Some day please explain what this means, what you did and "other libraries" to me.

All in all, it adds up to you being a world class musician.

Steve

Ron,

I think back to when we first met on YC; and remembering your works, think "this can't be Ron?!" I wouldn't necessarily say "this" this "better" than "those", but when my works took a "turn" and "discovered other avenues and possibilities" something "outside" my works changed; for me it was school, a move to TX., and a necessary sound library upgrade - but mostly school!

This work is a bit more "tailored" and "crafted" without loosing a "scenic soundscape" feel. I hear "free-thought" with "well handled resolutions" and "transitions".

I am very impressed! The "middle section" offered a "rhythmic" and "dynamic" contrast. On first listen I didn't hear anything repeat! But it all makes complete "tonal and constructional" sense.

"Brilliant" work Ron!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Home run on this highly cinematic soundscape, Ron;
    I very much enjoyed the sweeping view of the event
    horizon... especially when it rolls unexpectedly to the highly
    dramatic and visual explosion of sound in the mid-
    three's. Beautifully rendered as well.

Well done!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Ron,

I was really impressed with this work!

I think you have come a long way from your first posting in the LR.

Playing with a theme and repeating it with small changes, can really bring forth one's own imagination. And you did that very well!

You created a well balanced and interesting piece in every aspect, and I enjoyed hearing it!

Yudit

Steve

Once again you cause my head to swell with pride.

I wish you weren't a Mac guy 'cause then I could pass along all of the tricks I have learned in Sonar. I have never used Cubase.

I will send you a PM and explain what I meant in the post.

Michael

I think I know what you are saying. This piece is very different from the style of pieces I used to compose. It helps a lot that now I no longer have to use the stock, before GPO, Sibelius samples.

All this tonality though might make me go insane.

I was going to graduate this fall, but a couple of classes were cancelled, so I have to wait until Spring. But that gives me a chance to take a few Music courses this spring, so I might even learn how to do what I do.

David

I envisioned the 4 horseman with this one and tried to keep a tight rein on them. I think I controlled them this time.

This is the time for my favorite Sporting event. The Little League World Series is taking place right now up in Williamsport, PA, so a Homerun at this point is very appropriate wording for me.

Yudit

This piece really amazed me at how I could take a fairly short theme and vary it enough in minor ways to fill up this much time. I think I have learned a lot about how seperate tempos within tempos can work as well.

I'm sure that is now what it is supposed to be called, but then maybe I will learn the correct term this Spring.

Thank you all for the kind words.

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Encounter with the Event Horizon

I can hear a new Ron is born here!

Music suitable for great epic movie, maybe at sea?

I especially enjoyed the theme at 3:23 minutes. I find the orchestration smooth and subtle!

Thanks for sharing!

Fredrik

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast