• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: ***suite musical desserts***

***suite musical desserts***

After composing the Zuzax fantasy I wanted to write something entirely different for the piano. (Something simple and not quite as exhausting!)

So, I've decided to compose a compilation of short piano works that “beginning to intermediate” and “intermediate’ pianists can play that would be fun, engaging, engrossing, but easy enough to play without tons of practice.[Yeah!] So, I came up with the idea for a collection of twelve pieces which will be entitled SUITE MUSICAL DESSERTS.

Each piece will be 4 to 5 minutes in length and each will be quite different from the others in the set, “something for everyone” approach.

I’ve come to admire how everyone on this forum is so helpful, supportive, and above all, talented and obviously love what they do. So….. each piece will be dedicated to someone on this forum that I admire for various reasons, the pieces won’t necessarily reflect their music but more for gratitude and admiration for what they have contributed…music, posts, comments, sharing, etc. (I don’t own a notation program yet, but when I do, I’ll be sure to send a copy to each of dedicated recipients.)

Eventually I’ll probably orchestrate this collection, and in fact the next piece will probably be orchestrated first since I finally got out of the stone age and bought a new computer, which I’ve been savings up for 3 years now and also, I just purchased GPO. I haven’t orchestrated anything in 6 years, so it seems daunting, but you have to start somewhere. Everyone here makes orchestrating seem so easy, but I’m quickly finding out that it’s not!! My first attempt this week was just horrible, horrific actually…long ways to go.

Anyway, I digress, back to the two pieces at hand.

The first piece, The Subtle Musical Joke, in obviously in regards to Mozart’s Musical Joke, which poked fun at the musicians and composers of his era. Since nobody really sounds like Mozart to me other than Mozart, I decided not to try to emulate his sound by using all his little riffs and chord progressions that he utilized in his compositions. But rather to capture the vitality and lyricism and “sparkle” which is so evident in his music.

I also didn’t want the “JOKE” be “slapstick obvious” like PDQ Bach or Victor Borge, etc. using dissonant intervals, unfinished cadences and bizarre modulations, I wanted the piece to stand on its own merits as a normal composition which could be enjoyed by the listener as a “nice piece of music” without thinking about its jokes. The jokes are for the most part REALLY subtle, if you don’t get them that’s okay, just (hopefully) enjoy the music. {Okay, I’ll give you one joke.) In the classical sonata form of the exposition, devel, recap, the exposition usually ends in a standard cadence and then repeats and then at the end of the 2nd time through, leads directly into the development. However, in this piece the exposition leads directly into the development without repeat and then after the development, the piece then repeats the exposition which then leads to the 2nd theme,--what a mess!

Anyway, this piece is dedicated to Yudit, [AND NOT TO GET INTO TROUBLE HERE , dedication has nothing to do with the title---being Sagittarius I usually put my foot firmly in my mouth] it’s dedicated not because of incoherent structure, on the contrary, her structure is very coherent and impressive)… no, it’s because of Yudit’s lyricism and sparkle that she brings to her own compositions and to the forum. I really enjoy both her compositions and playing thus far, hence the dedication.

I’m getting long winded.. Keep this short. Next piece is “ A SLOW MARCH TO FADED INNOCENCE” is reflecting how one, as a child, is innocent to the ways of the world, but slowly and inevitably evaporates under the pressures of growing up. But innocence is never truly forgotten and we strive to keep it’s influence in our lives, as it comes back at the end of the composition. The piece definitely has a march like rhythm throughout its structure. The opening theme is very innocent indeed!; which then slowly marches towards a divergent section.

This piece is dedicated to Jack. When I was writing this piece, I was thinking of his composition “Tranquility Interrupted” with it’s divergent episodes. I really admired that composition and although this piece doesn’t really have the “shock of interruption” it’s sections are quite the antithesis of one another.

Again, my midi keyboard died so both pieces are note by note mouse entry, which is a real pain. I’d rather play them real time, you get so much more expression that way. But you do the best you can with what you got.

Well, onto the next piece. Enjoy.

The Subtle Musical Joke

A Slow March to Faded Innocence

Re: ***suite musical desserts***

Very striking writing and craftsmanship in these!

And that's no "joke"... Cass, you're making a quite
    regular habit of impressing the heck out of me.

Musical Joke does indeed stand beautifully on its own,
    regardless of subtle humorous intent.

Slow March, with its likewise subtle and amazingly
    smoothly progressed transitions across style and
    content, is equally well done.

Cass, get that midi 'board fixed and working, will you;
    I'd love to hear you do these "live".

With applause,

David Sosnowski

holy cow Cass,, I am going to bed but wanted to listen to the one you dedicated to Jack Cannon.
    How nice of you, and what a cool idea!

I know exactly what it's like to hunt and peck with a keyboard and mouse,
    and then edit the "you know what out of it" so it sounds like music.

I like this piece, nice chords,
    I like not only where it started from, but where it ended up.

I was looking forward to your next piece here, knowing that I will hear another interesting and well crafted composition from you.

And here you are with a great idea!
    I have always enjoyed playing sets of small characteristic pieces and I still do. In fact I would also like, eventually, to compose such a set myself.

I'm so very flattered that you chose me for your first dedication piece!
    So from one Sagittarius to another, Thanks!

Your pieces show that you have an excellent classical background on top of which you freely and easily build up your own unique ideas.
    The result is charming pieces that flow so naturally with lots of subtle twists and bends. They have a long 'breath' line... unlike my short ones...

I really admire your style!

You really owe it to yourself to have a notation program. I can't see myself composing without one...
    And I hope that you'll get a keyboard so that we can hear your live playing!
    Don't worry about GPO, you'll handle it in no time at all, I'm sure!

And now I will look forward to your next musical desserts...

Wow! How delightful!

You displayed excellent chordal structure and interesting, ear-pleasing dynamics in both works, Mr. Cass. I enjoyed both works but especially your musical "joke".

You have much talent and I look forward to hearing more of your music in this series.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Hi Cass:

Just listened to "Subtle Musical Joke" which you dedicated to Yudit.

First, I should admit that Yudit is such a worthy "dedicatee" for her
    inspiring piano works and also that your idea of the dedication process
    is such a selfless and generous endeavor.

I thoroughly enjoyed Yudit's musical present. You captured the essence
    of Mozart with the Alberti bass and other characteristics, but the
    piece was also very cafefully engineered which is what good music
    is all about. Great harmonic and melodic movement and superb cadential

Just a great musical offering and now, off to listen to what you dedicated
    to me.............

BRAVO, Cass

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Hi again Cass:

First, I should thank you for dedicating this piece to me. This is the
    first time in my musical life that an occasion of this type has occurred.

I have heard time and time again that "simplicity" in music composition
    most often produces a better result and you have proven it here. The
    melodic, harmonic and rhythmic ideas all combine and move to such a
    moving conclusion. The mode changes are particulary effective and
    generate attention from the listener. Loved the tierce picardie at the

A really great and moving piece of music, Cass. I can't thank you enough
    for the hard work invested in this musical tribute, but I can keep this
    tucked away as a momento from someone who liked my music and expressed
    their appreciation in a greater way than I had anticipated.

Would like to comment on your "mouse" input. You made the two pieces
    sound very "live" with just a mouse, so I know you will have no trouble
    with GPO orchestral rendering. Just absolutely gorgeous.

I was blown away with your thoughfulness and selflessness Cass. Please
    accept my humble thanks for a great musical surprise.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Cass, just listened to Subtle Musical Joke, it's very cool too.

So nice of you to dedicate this to Yudit ..
    She's a beaut !

No..... ROFL....that is much more subtle.

This is the beginning of what could be a major undertaking. Fall is just around the corner and I assume you will get busy at work again until winter. This may just take all of your free time.

2 very nice pieces to begin this project.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    ... Cass, you're making a quite
    regular habit of impressing the heck out of me.

David Sosnowski

I would have to say, “Ditto in return” to that.

And I would be remiss if I did not mention the uplifting effect your magnanimous posts give to composers on this forum such as myself. Your words are as powerful as your music. I have never really had any support or praise in my life regarding my music until I joined this forum. My friends and parents aren’t really into music. So, yours, and other members comments make me want to try harder and learn more about composition. It actually excites me to compose, which I haven’t felt in years….so I thank you for that.

Regarding the keyboard, unfortunately, I have very limited resources for acquiring anything music related at this time, mostly due to past medical expenses. Having just bought one yourself, you know they’re not cheap. I assume good weighted key action boards are still over a $1,000. But, eventually I will…and like you, I’ll probably post something the same day I get it!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast