• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do I create this sound?

Share/Bookmark

How do I create this sound?

I'm looking to replicate the sound of the flitering sweeping pad/atmos that runs throughout this:

http://www.messhead.com/downloads/Helicopter.mp3

It's not the constant G/C chord that's played from the beginning, it's the filtered pad that sweeps above it that I'm interested in.

Is there a specific way that a sound like this can be created? VI's that I own that may be able to help me are Atmosphere, VSM, Absynth 4, Zebra & Zebralette, Albino, Blue, Predator, Minimonsta, etc.

FX-wise Guitar Rig 3, Nitro, the Ohmforce plug-ins and Altiverb might come in handy.

I guess I'd just like to know if there's a simple way to create this sound. Is it actually just a guitar that's played through shedloads of FX?

Hmm. I know Eric would be able to answer this one.

Re: How do I create this sound?

The guitars whith loads of delays?

Kai

Hi Kai.

Thanks for that. I don't mean the guitar riffs with the syncopated delay. I'm actually trying to create the sound of the sweeping atmos/pad/bed that flows behind it.

It's starts to filter up at about 40 secs in.

Nick

I love this song. The whole album is fantastic.

The sweeping pad sounds to me like an airy pad whose filter is being swept while notes are added and subtracted to the main chord. It could be layers of stuff sort of ebbing and flowing about. It could also be a wavetable type synth that is washing a series of similar wave forms. Cliff Martinez knows how to compose a beautiful chunk of music.

Daren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey View Post
    Hi Kai.

Thanks for that. I don't mean the guitar riffs with the syncopated delay. I'm actually trying to create the sound of the sweeping atmos/pad/bed that flows behind it.

It's starts to filter up at about 40 secs in.

Nick
    Ah, sorry, that guitar-thingy you mentioned pointed me the wrong direction.

Man, it really sounds like it could be a stock patch from Atmosphere. I'd have to dig through the presets but I bet you could find it in there, maybe with a slight bit of modification.

Quote Originally Posted by dpasdernick View Post
    I love this song. The whole album is fantastic.

The sweeping pad sounds to me like an airy pad whose filter is being swept while notes are added and subtracted to the main chord. It could be layers of stuff sort of ebbing and flowing about. It could also be a wavetable type synth that is washing a series of similar wave forms. Cliff Martinez knows how to compose a beautiful chunk of music.

Daren
    Thanks Daren.

I'll have a play around with your suggestions.

A mixture of Atmosphere pads and a few Absynth sweeps here and there are working quite nicely at the moment. I've automated a Sonalksis filter over each channel and even though it doesn't sound exactly like the guide cue (from the film Traffic by the way), the result is starting to sound quite effective.

Quote Originally Posted by EricWatkins View Post
    Man, it really sounds like it could be a stock patch from Atmosphere. I'd have to dig through the presets but I bet you could find it in there, maybe with a slight bit of modification.
    Oooh! Now you've got me salivating.

That would make my job a hell of a lot easier. I might have to go back to the studio to go through the presets. Damn. I was looking forward to a glass of wine. Oh well, priorities!

If you stumble across it in the meantime please don't hesitate to post it here.

Many thanks.

It would be great to know how this sort of sound is created though. Co on Eric. Spill the beans.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Harvey View Post

It would be great to know how this sort of sound is created though. Co on Eric. Spill the beans.
    1) GO to music store
    2) Buy soft synths created by Eric Persing
    3) Play said synths

there's a bit of wavetable quality to the pre-effect sound, but really the original sound could be anything...imo the effects are a big part of it. really long reverb decay, with the filter sweep post reverb. a good trick for warm atmospherics is to use duplicates of the same effect in series; i.e. original sound -> reverb -> filter -> reverb -> reverb. you lose the original sound and it becomes something else.

in fact i just recently finished this:
    http://www.strongforthefuture.com/mu...min_stereo.mp3
    all sound aside from the bass is actually the harmonic samples from garritan's gofriller cello, processed of course through tons of reverb. the reverb in ableton live has a "freeze" function that allows you to microsample the reverb sound and stretch it out as long as you want.

Go Back to forum