• Register
  • Help

Topic: live performance

live performance

I am new user. I\'m a classical and jazz pianist. I\'m very interested in this forum becouse I red al lot of post concerning piano sounds. I will like to play in jazz live performance with the best piano sound possible. Are giga piano sounds played from someone in live performance? Wich hardware do you use?
    Excuse me for bad english.

Re: live performance

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Robi:
    I am new user. I\'m a classical and jazz pianist. I\'m very interested in this forum becouse I red al lot of post concerning piano sounds. I will like to play in jazz live performance with the best piano sound possible. Are giga piano sounds played from someone in live performance? Wich hardware do you use?
    Excuse me for bad english.
    Hello Robi,

I\'m kind of new too with GigaStudio, but let me see if I can help you...
    With GigaStudio, if you wanted to perform a solo piano piece, you would have to have a computer with GigaStudio/GigaSampler installed in it, and then you would load a piano file (For jazz, I\'ve heard Bruce Richardson that one of the best is the Trachtman Steinway D, and he knows what he\'s talking about).
    You would connect a keyboard as a MIDI controller to the computer (many ways to do this), and then, for live performance, you would probably have to connect your sound card outs to an external amp, and that one to a set of speakers.

If you\'re going to use GigaSampler/GigaStudio for live performance, make sure to try to get as low a latency as possible (latency is the delay that occurs between the time that you press a note, and the time that the sound actually comes out of the speakers). This latency could be brought to less than a hundredth of a second with the right sound card/hard drive.

One thing you should be aware though, is that a GigaSampler/GigaStudio workstation is never going to be as reliable as a standalone electric piano, because computers are always possibly going to crash, and according to Murphy\'s Law, this will happen in the middle of a live performance (D\'OH!).

Maybe somebody with more experience would be able to help you more, but if you have any more questions, I\'ll try to see if I can answer them to the best of my ability.

Your English is just fine, by the way, no reason to apologize.

Have a good day!

[This message has been edited by MrArkadine (edited 02-22-2002).]

If you go to: http://www.purgatorycreek.com/

You\'ll find an excellent page where just about every piano library is compared (with demos).

I\'m not sure if it has the Kip\'s new Bosendorfer or Michiel\'s new Steinway yet, but you\'ll find that pianists are spoiled for great pianos.

I\'ve also read that a few people have managed to get pretty stable Gstudio systems running on their laptops (which would be great for live work).

As Mr Arkadine said though, you might get the odd crash now and again (but maybe not).

Gigapianos are truly superb soundwise, but you\'ll have to get hold of the best controller that suits you also.

Personally, I\'ve ordered the Malmsjo (have a listen to it on the page mentioned), but I\'m sure you\'ll probably end up with a number of different libraries for different music (even the free gigapiano is damn fine).

If you search on this forum you\'ll find pretty much everything you need to know (in terms of hardware/software/controller etc.).

It can be a daunting step to put all of this together, but it is well worth the effort.

And YES you will get the best piano sound possible (outside of a real piano).

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

No need to fear using GigaStudio live with a good dedicated machine. I have been playing live with my SoundChaser rackmount machine for three years, without one single crash.

If you don\'t hose your system with a bunch of other programs, etc., you will have no problems. Start installing word processors, MP3 players, different DAW software, etc., and you\'ll start the problems rolling.

I\'d also recommend a pro-grade audio interface for live work. A cheesy Soundblaster, etc., is not the way to go. You\'ll want quality, balanced output so that your signal to the board is clean.

These days, I really like the Bardstown Audio Bosendorfer Imperial for live work. Personally, I favor the filtered version, but this piano is one of the few to have the brightness and dynamic range suited to live work. I do like Warren\'s piano as well, a very nice clear high register that works well for many different things. Warren wrote the book on mapping and filtering technique--he was one of the first developers to really exploit Giga\'s mapping capabilities, back at a time where people were just straight-mapping their raw samples and calling it good to go. Also, the Malmsjo is great for floating, new age, introspective work.

There are so many variables it\'s hard to even consider them all. But one variable that can be eliminated is GigaStudio\'s stability. Use a good professional machine, and you will have ZERO problems using it live. Try to cheap out, or use a multipurpose computer, and there will certainly be problems, but they\'ll be no fault of GigaStudio. You don\'t do your taxes or surf the net on your hardware keyboards. Probably not a great idea for your software ones, either...

I agree with Bruce\'s comments about stability. However, I\'d always recommend using a controller that has a built in piano sound, just in case GigaStudio needs to reboot and you\'re in the middle of a song. I\'m playing my first GigaStudio gig tonight - I\'ll let you know how it goes!

I haven\'t done this, yetm but my ultimate plan for live performance is to create the GigaGig system-basically a dedicated laptop (so I can take it back to the studio to develop compositions and sounds) running Gigastudio and a minimal sequencer.

The GS setup would be a modified GM setup, with the GM-named instruments I use available at their \'proper\' GM program numbers, and the instrument positions I don\'t use dedicated to variations on the ones I do (several distortion guitars, electric basses.)

I believe that at this moment, the laptop hardware is not quite up to the task, mostly due to the use of slow hard drives to maximize battery power. I plan to never use the battery, but I haven\'t seen any 7200 or 10000 RPM hard drives for laptops, and I don;t want to carry an external Firewire drive-just one more thing to go wrong. OTOH, maybe this IS the way to go, if the computer dies, I plug into another, if the drive goes, bring out the backup. Hmmm...

I all I wanted was one good piano sound, it\'s definitely doable now, but I\'m greedy. I want everything for a small pop orchestra or big band sounding at once, preferably with minimal latency. That takes horsepower, and high speed disk access.

Let\'s see-drums, bass, rhythm guitar, lead guitar, trumpet, bone, alto, tenor, bari, string section, bg voices... OK, here\'s my compromise. I\'ll play acoustic piano live, and let the latency slide. I can be 250 ms behind, as long as all the tracks are still in sync.

King, are you reading this? Does your laptop handle this kind of scenario? Can I add a good Giga piano and play it live, or is there too much slop?

Go Back to forum