• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: A new violinplayer

A new violinplayer

today I have bought me a beginners violin set!

I am so impressed that I now want to learn to play the violin, and I am 47 years young... .

Please, wish me good luck.

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

California Redwoods

Re: A new violinplayer

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post

Please, whish me good luck.

Well, you will need a bundle of it! But I expect it will be fun if your neighbors don't start throwing bricks!

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, you will need a bundle of it! But I expect it will be fun if your neighbors don't start throwing bricks!

Hello Gunther,

I took up the violin at a tender age and this became my main study at music college. It's a truly beautiful instrument and, whilst it can often be a formidable instrument to play, I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy it.

Good luck.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Interesting. In my case, using virtualinstruments make me to apreciate more the real ones. I bought a clarinet a month ago, because the samples limitations make me wish the real thing.
    Marcelo Colina

I started at age 50.

It is a formidable challenge, but also quite satisfying, whatever level one obtains, and a good thing to have under one's belt as a composer, if for no other reason than to more fully understand the technical issues string players have.

I still can't decide if bowing or fingering is the more difficult of the two. There are so many variables in tone production - string material, string gauge, rosin, bow, bow hair, chin rest, shoulder rest, bridge material, bridge shape, bridge height, bow grip, bow pressure, finger placement, finger pressure, fingering, thumb placement, shifting, shoulder, elbow, and wrist, not to mention the instrument itself - that it can be an overwhelming task as a beginning student to pinpoint exactly where the problems lay when things don't "speak" properly. A good teacher is vital.

Best of luck in your new endeavor!

What is a "beginners violin set" ? Is that a box filled with all bits and pieces like those IKEA chairs, you have to assemble yourself?

Anyway, good luck finding a new free standing house.

Raymond - sincerely wishing you good luck.

Talking Re: A new violinplayer

Welcome to the club then, I say.
    I myself started at the age of 14 (which is with my modest age really late) but now I show the same skills as my fellow violinist that have played like since the had fingers the moral being that one can never start to late.
    So congratz on your first squeaky steps on the long and winding road that is the art of mastering the violin.
    Regards Danial Zainali
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Orcas Island

All the best Maestro Gunther with your new instrument. Knowing you, you'll master it quickly.

One of those rare instruments that can play practically ANY genre of music! Best whishes.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Hallo Gunther,

That's great news!

I once learned the violin, but it was only for a very short time... I preferred the piano...

with the learning!

Go Back to forum