• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB 2nd Installation Nightmare

Share/Bookmark

JABB 2nd Installation Nightmare

I'm in the middle of setting up my first laptop. For some upcoming extended periods away from my home studio, I want to get the laptop loaded with all the programs I Live and Breathe By--and of course that includes all my Garritan instrument libraries.

It's been a breeze to install both The Strad and Marching Band on the lap--even while keeping my laptop offline--The USB stick transfer of data through the NI service center was easy to do.

But those two libraries are were designed for KP2, while the older Garritan libraries were designed for KP1 and originally had a different method of registration.

GPO and JABB---trying to get those on this second machine is simply a nightmare at this point.

My bitching and moaning here is basically the same as in my post from yesterday when I was freaking about not being able to install GPO:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ad.php?t=62466

--but today's "fun and games" has revolved around trying to get JABB on this second computer. That library came out before KP2, then later on there was an upgrade easily available. That was easy enough to do last year, getting a new serial number and doing the upgrade---But NOW---when I'm trying to put the library on this second computer, I can only get the stand-alone JABB to install as a registered program. When I try to use the newer serial number, NI's site says I already have an installation with that serial number and can't do it again. If I use the original older serial number---it's not the one associated with KP2.

What the...?

We all know that for companies to take measure to safeguard their products is a very reasonable thing to do, after the early days of software when users could make a thousand copies of their software discs if they were inclined to, without any hassle--That wasn't so good for the companies.

But now it Does get very aggravating to spend hours and hours trying to simply use the software we've paid for. To have the libraries on two machines is a very typical situation--a desk top and a laptop--But how the average user is supposed to figure out how to set the second copies up and running can be---well, I've said it already,--Nightmarish.

Nickie already gave the sage advice to call NI support and straighten it all out on the phone. I trust that will do the trick. All these problems have come up on the weekend and I haven't been able to get through. Hopefully I can on Monday.

But Gee Whiz!--Here I am with GPO which is "registered already to another user"--um,--yeah, that would be ME--And JABB which I've supposedly already maxed out on my installations, when this is my first attempt to get it on a second computer. This really isn't right, and it's easy enough for me to say--but there really should be a way to make it easier for honest customers to not be treated this way when the simple request is to have one's programs on a portable computer--ya know?

Advice anyone?--while I await the phone chat with NI tech support?

--NICKIE already accurately pointed out that I must have originally registered GPO with a different email address, and so it's not showing up on my registered list at NI. She's right--and that surely can be straightened out. But what in the blazes is going on with this JABB second installation hangup?---I MUSt figure it out or I'll be an unhappy camper Forever. ---Well--I'll be bummed at least.

Randy B.

Re: JABB 2nd Installation Nightmare

I wouldn't agree to that sage bit of advice after having just done it a couple of weeks ago. I called up the LA guys and the guy who 'talked down' to me was every bit of arrogant, rude and a few other expletive deleteds. The problem I had is a complicated story but see if this helps.

JABB Kp2 - It asks for the serial # during install which I guess you have to use your Kp1 serial #. It'll work. The problem is the # is passed through to Service Center 2.02. But that's the wrong serial #. You have to go to your serial # listing on the Activation page and get it from there. Type it in and Jabb Kp2 will activate.

This wasn't the extent of my complications but I wish you luck. I was three shakes of the fist from throwing everything into the closet and taking up knitting for a hobby!

Rich

Hi Randy,

I have a few thoughts to try to help:

You might consider solely installing the KP2 version of JABB. In this case you won't have to deal with adapting the registration tool to Service Center and it might cause you fewer worries with JABB. Just download and run the KP2 update installer from the NI site, followed by all of its updated versions, and then copy the .nks files from your CDs or DVD into the JABB KP2 library folder.

Can you request a new KP2 serial using the "What's This?" link on your native instruments update page? My guess is no, but it's worth a shot. Log in and click on the Support tab, then select Updates and Drivers. Look for it under Jazz & Big Band (not KP2).

Also are you using Service Center 2.02? This is the version downloadable from the NI site right now, and in my opinion it's six hundred times better than the old flash player based one that ships with all the KP2 stuff. My authorizations using it have been extremely smooth. If you need to update SC to this, uninstall the 1.x version first (and then never install Service Center from a program install). The 2.02 version might give you better luck with the simultaneous authorizations of KP2 as well.

Best,
    Reegs

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Rich, you said:

"... It asks for the serial # during install which I guess you have to use your Kp1 serial #. It'll work. The problem is the # is passed through to Service Center 2.02. But that's the wrong serial #. You have to go to your serial # listing on the Activation page and get it from there. Type it in and Jabb Kp2 will activate..."

All of this I noticed and already tried, with no success. I don't know why that worked for you, but when I gave KP2 the new serial number which is on my online list, nothing happened. As I typed it in, in fact, the boxes for the serial number turned red, as if saying "Wrong!" JABB KP2 didn't activate after I tried that. sigh.

Reegs--I didn't realize what you're saying would work. I Do have the NI site's current version of KP2 on the laptop, and it's currently displaying CMB and The Strad since those post-KP1 libraries were transferred to the new computer without a hitch. SO, now I need to try just physically copying the instrument files into the NI folder on the laptop--OK, I'll try that!

I can't request a new serial number. I tried that, but the message came up saying I already have the new serial number--the one I got when I upgraded JABB to KP2 on my original computer. Only one new number per library is allowed.

And the Service Center I've been using is the one at the site, so I'm up to date on that.

When I have the chance, I'll try the above--SOMething has to work!---(NOW to untangle the mess of my second GPO install--I'll need to call them about that. GPO isn't on my user list at NI because I used an earlier and now defunct email address.)

Thanks again!

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I Do have the NI site's current version of KP2 on the laptop, and it's currently displaying CMB and The Strad since those post-KP1 libraries were transferred to the new computer without a hitch. SO, now I need to try just physically copying the instrument files into the NI folder on the laptop--OK, I'll try that!
    Randy, Reegs advice is good advice if you don't need JABB KP1 for your old projects, but copying the .nks files from the disc is not enough. You also have to run the JABB KP2 updater to install the JABB KP2 patch files (.nki & .nkm). Since you already have KP2 installed, you can leave the Standalone and various plugins unchecked, when the installer asks you what to install. Just leave only the "Library" option checked.
    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    And the Service Center I've been using is the one at the site, so I'm up to date on that.
    It's best to use the newer Service Center 2, but whichever one you use, when you run the JABB KP2 updater you will be prompted for the serial number; this is the new (What is this?) JABB KP2 SN. SC will then show JABB KP2 as authorized next time you run it.

If you need the old JABB KP1, you have to install it from the disc and then run the JABB 1.1.9.3 updater before you install JABB KP2 (or point the installer to a different library folder - it will by default overwrite the JABB KP2 library folder). The JABB KP1 installer (or SC) will prompt you for the old serial number. And you must start JABB KP1 standalone at least once before it is properly authorized.

Hello again, Nickie

I was ready to try Reegs solution, now see your post warning that I'll need to keep the old JABB in its own folder, otherwise instrument files will be written over. OK. But--where is the 1.1.9.3 JABB update you're talking about? The only links at NI are for KP2 updates.

I am really confused right now because I've tried everything suggested so far. The SC will not accept the new serial number. And when I bring what's supposed to be the JABB KP2 update over to my laptop, now it won't even give me the option to register JABB at all, regardless of serial numbers--now it's not listed, but GPO is--.

I have sympathy for Every person I've ever seen on this and other music boards who is dead in the water and frustrated that something as simple as installing something has to be such a huge time waster. Right now, I don't get at all what I'm supposed to try, except for hopefully getting things straightened out when I call NI support tomorrow.

I have JABB and GPO in the stand-alone modes only, and CMB and The Strad inside KP2 where they're supposed to be. Great. Not what I want.---I'm sure it'll be worked out, but man this is frustrating--I literally have no time left to keep burning the hours on this problem.

Randy B.

I feel for ya Randy, I really do. And you'll be calling in on a Monday like I unwittingly did. Be sure to have lots of garlic about your neck and don't forget to offer him milk and cookies. Who knows? You could get lucky.

Oh, if you get the guy I got, be prepared to be wrong about everything. Learn to say things like Yes Master... No Master... How could I have been so stupid... things like that. This guy will even argue with you over how many drives you have in your computer. Resistance is futile.

You might want to open a NI ticket as well. I'm sure they are going to ask you for the ARF file from Service Center 2.02. To get it, I went to Help and Create Support File. I took a few screen grabs so they could see exactly what I was seeing. The guys in LA took two weeks and never did figure it out. The fella in Germany, Marius, said he saw the problem in the first screenshot.

I wound up having to reinstall everything but everything is working pretty slick now. Well, except for a couple of libraries that crash Kontakt2 as soon as I touch them.

Good luck.

Remember the garlic....

Rich

hehehe--Funny post, Rich. Maybe I'll wait until Tuesday to call--I don't have any garlic garlands handy.

BUT MEANWHILE---I got my second JABB to install on the laptop! I just bit the bullet and kept trying. I can't even explain now what had been going wrong before, but finally --I got it on there, up and working, with the the old KP1 version in a separate folder to use in older projects.

I DID go through the hassle of un-and re-installing several times--Forgetting, even though I've seen this info numerous times, that one has to physically copy the nks files from the original discs. When I first got KP2 Jabb in there, it couldn't find samples without using the search function--and of course that isn't acceptable, because it doesn't remember the locations next time. You would have to do that every time for each instrument.

Then I remembered--and managed to see the screen during the last install of the update--the info that you have to physically move the large nks files. Now--that's a funky set up, and a step Easily missed. OH well, finally got all that together.

I'll still be calling NI because now the final challenge of getting Garritan on to my laptop is GPO. As Nickie surmised, I initially registered it with a different email--a long gone address, I'm not even sure which one it was or what password I used. They GOTta find it for me through my serial number, and then hopefully it won't be another three days of hassling just to get That library on the laptop.

Thanks again to all on this thread!

Randy B.

UPDATE - I've finally gotten both JABB and GPO on my new laptop. Let's just say that part of the problem was User Confusion. Without realizing I had skipped some steps, I was trying to update earlier versions to the newest without doing all of the upgrades inbetween--that's the basic issue.

GPO I had registered under another email address. Once I figured out which old email I used, I was able to get the registered products info at NI and go through the process of upgrading and activating things on my new laptop.

It was a hassle, and I've burned up more hours than I could afford untangling it all, but at least it all worked out.

Thanks again to everyone on both this and the GPO thread who helped me out.

Randy B.

Go Back to forum