• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piece for Symphonic Band

Share/Bookmark

Piece for Symphonic Band

Hey all, I thought I would post a Symphonic Band piece I was working on. The samples are from the Full GPO... although the saxes are home-made from the synthgms sound font saxes imported into Kontakt 2. I just rendered it in Finale, so not much time is spent on the MIDI performance.

It is called "The Cosmological Constant, op. 51" based on a theory Einstein had and later abandoned (I can't really explain the theory).

Click here for: "The Cosmological Constant, op. 51"
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Re: Piece for Symphonic Band

Einstein was unable to complete all his work because .. all .. of the ...... numbers ......failed zzzz to add zzz up zzzzzzzzzzzzzz and so he zzzzzzz added the cosmol zzzzz ical constant to zzzz fil zzzzz the zzzzzzzzzzz gap "YAWN" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Well, I've listened right thru now. The sound is really good, mine always sound muddy. Not sure I'm competent to comment on the music, but for what its worth, it seemed good to me
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    Well, I've listened right thru now. The sound is really good, mine always sound muddy. Not sure I'm competent to comment on the music, but for what its worth, it seemed good to me
    Thanks for the listen, I expect to write a lot more symphonic band music... especially since there are a lot more symphonic bands.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

Listened to it, a nice modern effort. It's good to get more concert literature out there. In all, I like the work. Only thing I could comment or suggest is involving the introduction statement. For lack of a better way to describe it, I didn't "get" the first minute or so. Something felt very abrupt about it. After that, I really liked the progression and the development. I'm curious to know how it all relates to the theory.

Granted, this is a comment from only one listen, so I could very well be full of crap. I took me a while to "get" Hindmith's Symph in B-flat, once it clicked with me, I went from being annoyed with it to absolutely falling in love with it.

Quote Originally Posted by trimpe View Post
    I'm curious to know how it all relates to the theory.
    It really doesn't. LOL.

I just liked the idea of seizing order from chaos... even if that concept turns out to be wrong.
    Jess Hendricks
    Personal Website

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic View Post

I just liked the idea of seizing order from chaos..
    So do I.

I shall have to fish around a bit, but it seems to me that Einstein called the cosmological constant his greatest blunder, but later, he, or others discovered it was a good concept.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by jesshmusic View Post
    It is called "The Cosmological Constant, op. 51" based on a theory Einstein had and later abandoned (I can't really explain the theory).
    That's easy it is explained as follows:

Now that we settled that issue. I love the piece. Nice texturing and layers. Effective use of brass and percussion. This is truly a 'band composition'. It is written well and orchestrated well for band. Nice job!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

This is very curious. I get this cat mouse kinda feeling at the beginning. It sounds like something you might see in acartoon you know. But then it transofrms. Its this like really upbeat sort of Ives-ey polka with like a Shosty chordy thing going on. Very curious writing. Great work. Kept my interest all the way through.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Much enjoyed this Cosmological Constant, Jess. We don't
    have too many pieces for that ensemble here, and it's
    great to hear high quality work like this for symphonic band.

Very well rendered, as well!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast