• Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Capricious Clarinet

Share/Bookmark

Capricious Clarinet

Here is the complete set for this work:

Movement I - The Capricious Clarinet

Movement II - The Capricious Clarinet

Here is the final movement to this set. I finished it today: August 25, 2008.

Movement III - The Capricious Clarinet

Let me know what you think.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Capricious Clarinet

I get an image of my clarinet professor playing this with his students. This is something that would sound really awesome live. In fact it's something I'd like to hear. This is very excellent writing. It has this respighi influence from what I can tell.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

I am listening to this now. A little past the middle, I just love those runs! (and was amazed to hear your solo clarinet playing double stops LOL! -- just joking...)

I did find myself struggling a little to hear the piano as the clarinet was very prominent (but perhaps that was your intention).

I also like the way you alternate the contemplative, quiet mood with the "capricious" sections.

That "knocking effect" on the piano -- how was that done -- or was that percussion? I couldn't tell.

Nicely done.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr View Post
    I get an image of my clarinet professor playing this with his students. This is something that would sound really awesome live. In fact it's something I'd like to hear. This is very excellent writing. It has this respighi influence from what I can tell.
    Thanks for listening. Yes I am a big fan of Respighi especially his "Pines of Rome" trilogy.

The 1st movement has been performed live. I am looking to a possible Spring '09 performance of the set.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by KE Peace View Post
    solo clarinet playing double stops LOL! -- just joking...)
    Those are multiphonics. I notated them, but let me assure you when the clarinetist does it live it doesn't sound as I have notated. It's much more harsh in character.

I did find myself struggling a little to hear the piano as the clarinet was very prominent (but perhaps that was your intention).
    Yes I need to boost the piano. On my system it sounds ok, but listening to it on others the piano is a bit muted.

I also like the way you alternate the contemplative, quiet mood with the "capricious" sections.
    My intentions exactly. Life can't always be fun, but we can 'tongue 'n cheek' it from time to time.

That "knocking effect" on the piano -- how was that done -- or was that percussion? I couldn't tell.
    That effect is created with a tone cluster of five notes at the very bottom of the piano using it as a percussive sound! You do hear a lot Karen! Thanks for listening.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Bill

This is a very nice conclusion to this piece. The entire piece makes great use of the range of the clarinet and its varying moods.

Double stops on a clarinet? Don't quite see how that is done, but then I don't play any wind instruments.

The piano seems farther away in this one as well.

Minor things

Well done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Thanks for the piano tricks, Bill... lol -- seriously, a neat
    effect I've used myself (Emergence), and very effective
    in this in setting that suspenseful "someone's knocking at the
    door" feel.

I've admired the qualities of the writing and thinking in the
    earlier two movements; and this one, again, is beautifully
    executed.

Off to the hear the final, final movement (IV)... lol.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I just listened to the 1st movement.
    Great sound on the clarinet.
    Great clarinet writing, but I'm thinking some of the bends would be very difficult on a real clarinet.
    Ways to bend notes, to my knowledge- include lowering fingers over tone holes in the right hand;
    the tone hole notes Bb, and A can be altered with the embrochure, but others require a lot of relaxing which also effects tone.
    Of course a fine player probably knows things I haven't heard about.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Bill

This is a very nice conclusion to this piece. The entire piece makes great use of the range of the clarinet and its varying moods.

Double stops on a clarinet? Don't quite see how that is done, but then I don't play any wind instruments.
    Ron
    Thanks for listening Ron. I am not sure if you are refering to the MM III or the Final MM IV which I posted a few days ago, but as always I appreciate your comments.

For those that are wondering about the "double stops" on the clarinet they are called Multiphonics. Here is Wikopedia's definition of a Woodwind Multiphonic:

"On woodwind instruments for example- saxophone, clarinet, oboe and flute- multiphonics can be produced either with new fingerings, by using different embouchures, or voicing the throat with conventional fingerings. There have been numerous fingering guides published for the woodwind player to achieve harmonics. Multiphonics on reed instruments can also be produced in the manners described below for brass instruments.
    It is said to be impossible to recreate exactly the conditions between one player and the next, due to minute differences in instruments, reeds, embouchure, and other things. This, however, is not entirely true; the multiphonic will depend on the room temperature and other such things, but essentially multiphonics sound the same due to the harmonic structure of the multiphonic. A multiphonic fingering that works for one player may not work for that same player on a different instrument, or a different player on the same instrument, or even after switching reeds. The tone quality of brass multiphonics is influenced strongly by the voice of the player."

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Thanks for the piano tricks, Bill... lol -- seriously, a neat
    effect I've used myself (Emergence), and very effective
    in this in setting that suspenseful "someone's knocking at the
    door" feel.

I've admired the qualities of the writing and thinking in the
    earlier two movements; and this one, again, is beautifully
    executed.

Off to the hear the final, final movement (IV)... lol.

My best,
    David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    David, I always appreciate your comments and wit. Thanks for listening. Enjoy the final, final movement. This piece was a fun piece to manufacture even if the first movement was written 30 years ago when I was a young man. It took this old and decrepit man all I could muster to get back into my young mind.

I am glad you are enjoying the results.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast