• Register
  • Help

Topic: Newbie Sequencer Question

Share/Bookmark

Newbie Sequencer Question

I want to produce soundtrack like music. I purchase EWQL Silver and hope to do something fun with it. Right now i am using Reaper but i have heard mixed reviews. I tried a Sonar demo and the price and the interface were a bit intimidating. I don't mind learning something new of course, but was just wondering what everyone here thought?

PS. I am using an Axiom Midi Controller Keyboard if that helps at all.

Re: Newbie Sequencer Question

Hi Ibanez,

Welcome to Northernsounds. EWQL Silver is a good start for producing "Hollywood" style music. Reaper is a capable sequencer and is good for what you want to do, as are Sonar and Cubase. What about Reaper is giving you trouble?

I don't know where you are in the world but there is a UK magazine called Computer Music. Every issue contains a free studio with two different sequencers and lots of other stuff. If you are very short of money this is a good buy. I've used two of the free programmes - drum and a sampler for a long time now. Its about £6 here monthly and I know its available in US
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    I don't know where you are in the world but there is a UK magazine called Computer Music. Every issue contains a free studio with two different sequencers and lots of other stuff. If you are very short of money this is a good buy. I've used two of the free programmes - drum and a sampler for a long time now. Its about £6 here monthly and I know its available in US
    Thye still include the old CM Studio which was developed by the people who create Muzys.
    Now they promote Energy XT and you can get a discount for the full version.

Reaper can be difficult at first if you are doing midi.

Reaper is catching up though. It has an excellent sound for a VST floater, and won't overbloat your CPU w/ unnecessary code.

I use Cubase 4.1 and a hardware Yamaha QX-1 for tight MIDI work creating percussion, drum and lighting and sound effect cues. But dump those tracks into Reaper. Since it is a low code sequencer it can perform the large amount of data and spit it back out w/ high precision.

That's my use though.

But for 50 bucks, it's tough to beat. And live, it's the most stable I have used. I can start a show and walk away, and come back 5 minutes before the break and as always, no problemos. Lighting faders and automated hardware effects can overwhelm some apps when mixed together w/ MIDI'd instruments in hardware and software, but Reaper is just too lean to get tired.

Welcome To NS.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum