• Register
  • Help

Topic: Traveling Salesmen (The Short Film)

Share/Bookmark

Cool Traveling Salesmen (The Short Film)

Hope this link works. There are four films on this site. The "block" with the TV test pattern is the one to click on. This film "The Traveling Salesmen" was completed in less than 48 hours as one of the contestants in a local (far as I can tell) film contest. I really do not know too much of what is involved and how it is set up so bare with me.

This is the first time I have ever been asked to come up with music for a film. I had only four hours due to equipment problems (really?) from the start time of the 48 hours. The music is based on Lawrence Welks style. The producer and director wanted something of this style and "corny" as possible. Anita more time!

I have to tell you it makes me real nervous to post this first attempt umongst all of you who have completed music for film with great success! Wish I had more time. Hey, I tried. The music is unfinished due to the problems I encountered. I have since finished and will be giving the completed version of the music to the director per his request.

Hope the link works and thanks for watching and listening.

http://gallery.mac.com/avescio

I should mention the instrumentation. Because of the short time to put this together (without the film for a guide) I sadly had to use a Roland sound module for the rhythm tracks and muted guitar. The rest is Jabb and GPO!
    GPO - String section violin 1 lush, string section violin 2 lush, cello section.
    GRO - Steinway piano (included in GPO)
    Jabb - Tenor sax solo (but it is not in this version and I will explain later)
    Jabb - acoustic guitar and electric, bass

Hope to see some comments, questions, or concerns! This is a learning experience and would be grateful for your insight.
    Styxx

Re: Traveling Salesmen (The Short Film)

That was a bit of fun Styxx!

The music fitted perfectly, haven't got a clue who Lawrence Welks is though.

Well done on your first outing!

Great job on your first short. What an intro to film music, doing the 48-hour challenge! That's like running the gauntlet! It fit the character of the film and the mood very well.

Congrats!
    Joe

Well OK Styxx, I particularly liked the first theme, that long tone - very evocative of,hmmm, something. Wheres the saxophone solo? Did I miss it?
    The music fitted perfectly, haven't got a clue who Lawrence Welks is though.(hey did someone already say that ?)
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

Thanks so much for the congrats people. Means a lot to me coming from this forum. Then again, it means a lot to me to have my pizza once in a while but I don't flaunt that now do I?

The sax solo which carries the melody was not in this particular version unfortunately. There's quite a bit more that didn't make it either due to problems while working on the music. I finally was able to finish and ad in the sax track as well as the others. I was using Samplitude SE V9 which I think has too many routes to go through just to load a VST instrument.

Hey, is anyone else having problems playing this? My Quicktime is not opening the video and it is Quicktime 7. Just will not open.

If you want to know who Lawrence Welk was, Google the chap.

Let's have a slice ....
    Styxx

Ha! Pop up blocker on. I see everything now.

By the way, that's me daughter the first lady baking the cookies.
    Styxx

The video was great fun Styxx! I thought your music was a perfect fit, especially for those two yahoos. Great job!

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

The awards for the best short film ezz tonight but it will not be shown on national TV because ezz Beefalo not Holywood!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum