Click me!

Comments welcome!

Best,

Stevie

Re: Chris Hein - Horns Vol.2 Funk/Big Band Demo

Very convincing!
    rothermusic.de

Sorry, obvious not real playing, not that it is easy to duplicate, in fact not!

The lead sounds quite like a keyboard player. The sections sound off. Swells aren't natural.

More time needs to spent on the demos in my opinion.

RickyB

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky B View Post
    Sorry, obvious not real playing, not that it is easy to duplicate, in fact not!

The lead sounds quite like a keyboard player. The sections sound off. Swells aren't natural.

More time needs to spent on the demos in my opinion.

RickyB

Hey Ricky!

Hey, no reason to excuse yourself.
    I'm open to any improvments.
    Which lead sound do you mean? The trumpet or the sax, or both?
    What you mean by saying "the sections sound off"?
    Hmm, the swells are actually recorded ones. I find them very natural
    to be honest. Maybe the mix hides it a bit.

Best,

Stevie

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie1 View Post
    Hi all!

Here's another CHH Vol2 preview demo. This time a Funk/Big Band mix:
    Click me!

Comments welcome!

Best,

Stevie
    don't listen to ricky !!
    your demo is amazing !!

congrats !!
    Didier.

Salut Didier,

LOL, okay
    Thanks for the compliment!

Best,

Stevie

This is a top-notch demo, I don't understand the previous criticism. The phrasing of the instruments seem spot-on to me. I don't hear any unnatural keyboard-like playing.

Horn players offering criticism is welcome, I use sampled Horns live, CHH Volume 1 is just one that I use as I need a few to pull off a semi close section.

I could Knit pick but will thank you for the demo instead. Besides, Guys from Philly had the best live sections around, right in Center City and South Street back in the day. To impress Ricky, it's gotta be REALLY GOOD.

I was going to upgrade Vol. 1, or break down and get BBBand, but after hearing this I can tell it will save me from buying Broadway Big Band as I can hardly justify the expense. I do more synth orientated dance music w/ analog hardware live, and while I have no problem on a 500 USD VSTi or Giga library that is good, 2000 USD for an authentic Horn Section while sounding really good, I'd rather buy a Moog.

I will buy this when it's released as it is fresh, and CH replies quickly to even the stupidest technical questions.

Besides, I can take a chance w/ hundreds, but not thousands. Besides, BBB will be 500 USD someday, just like VSL Strings dropped rapidly at the release of SISS and other competition.

Thanks for not getting bent out of shape for the constructive criticism.

One question though. Short swells can be filtered w/ a quality DSP plug and MIDI LFO to be accurately timed, but I am interested in the length of the LONG SWELLS. Since you recorded this demo, or so it seems. Could you elaborate on the swell lengths, if you still have access to the app.

So many new members at once. Tschüs!
    JimmyV

Hey,Stevie,

I'm not a horn player (but have worked with some) and realize how difficult it can be to replicate w/ sampled material. The music is cool and I DO hate to be critical! All of this is hard work!

I'm referring more to the 2nd section where it goes into the groove. To my ears, the sax sounds like the notes are coming off of a keyboard. Maybe something w/ overlapping notes or articulation.

"Sect. sound off" - The use of repetetive phrases in the section horns, also gives away the fact that it's not live players, where the mix (dynamics) would vary a bit between the horn players. You can tell it's the same material copied. Am I wrong?

The mix could be a factor also. But, under the microscope, anything can get suspect!

And then again, maybe this is not the thread I should have chimed in on! Do your thing!

Rick

Well, I am a horn player so I'll offer my thoughts for what they're worth. On the intro section, I think the horn swell patch was slightly overused. It shouldn't be used on every note in that passage. It's a special effect patch and not for continual usage.

Once the tempo picks up, I have a problem with the sound of the horn section on the repeated notes. There's too much attack and not enough sound, and I wonder if the attacks have been staggered or not. It almost sounds like a section unison patch was used there instead of individual tracks. Also, I can't make out which horns are playing that part. It sounds like all tenor saxes and trombones maybe. In any case, it's indistinct. If real players were used, the sound would be clearer which tells me that I'm hearing samples.

I think the sax solos both sounded good, especially the second one. The first one could use a little bit of micro-editing to get the connections between the notes to sound smoother - very close, though. Finally, overall whenever pitch bends are added they're too deep. Cut the pitch variance in half and you'd have it.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Go Back to forum