• Register
  • Help

Topic: Guitar Plugin?

Share/Bookmark

Guitar Plugin?

Hi,
    Has anyone run any guitar plugins successfully in Gigastudio?
    If so please let me know the name of the software.
    cheers
    Bryan H
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    Intel Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40 GHZ 8.00 GB Ram
    2 x SSD drives 120 & 128 GB
    ST9160823AS 150GB 7200 rpm
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4
    Native Instruments B4 VSTi Bridged "Jbridge"
    Dosbox 0.74 running "Texture" sequencer.

Re: Guitar Plugin?

This will be deleted for some reason, not sure why, so I will mispell it and maybe the developer / moderators will let it slide. Direct......Guiatr.

It comes very well recorded, and you can add your own effects to taste.

I prefer the meat and potatoes only.

I have a 23 year old 8 bit sample that still smokes as a lead distorted sound too. It was off of the Ensoniq Mirage, and had Mod Wheel feedback. Nothing but a live player can beat it, and when I am called upon for double leads, at first they look at you w/ mixed emotions, but grow to like it. The 8bit sample sounds dirty as hell still through my 32bit Integer DSP rig. I also have the VSL Steve Vai library and that one sucks....sorry to say. After using their strings I figured it would be a monster.........NOT.

But DG has much more to offer. I have some excellent nylons but still don't have the perfect Acoustic library or plug yet, but many people comment on how good my Acoustic stuff sounds. I believe that comes from the technique and not the sound, finger picking fast enough while sustaining the right voicings is enough to fool the average Joe.

Let me know if you find a quality Acoustic library, as Giga stuff is cheaper than ever. Wonder why that is?
    JimmyV

Thumbs up Re: Guitar Plugin?

Dear Brian,

I've tested with success the STEINBERG VirtualGuitarist/Bassist FX within GS3 ; a friend of mine reports me IK Multimedia plugins worked fine.

For JimmyV,

Sure Ensoniq demos rocked ! I remember about good SQ/SD ones based upon onboard distortion fx with filter controlled by mod wheel. Great solo lead guitar tracks !
    And don't forget Eric PERSHING demos for Roland S770 (L-CD701) ;-)
    In fact, for making great guitar tracks, you've to keep control on some filter...

Yes, I had both. I want an S770 style hardware sampler packed w/ Intel SSD's. That's my way of getting away from what I just experienced w/ Gigastudio's Legacy status.

The Ensoniq sample transferred to EMU, Oberheim DPX, then Giga 16bit, Giga 24bit......It is the only sample that survived my numerous hardware and software changes.

Direct gets a similar sound with the right treatment, but I am too lazy to creat another performance that ties in the feedback.
    JimmyV

Thank you gentlemen,
    While I do use guitar samples, I have not expressed myself clearly with this query, so sorry for the confusion. I have a guitarist who plays in a duo situation with me, and this is an attempt to load guitar processing software and insert his guitar directly into GS4 through a plugin.
    The "Waves GTR 3 rig" plugin will load ok, but it's presence conflicts with the "Native Instruments B4ii" plugin I am already using, and which is essential to this setup. (all sound from the B4ii stops once GTR3 is loaded).
    Hence the question regarding a guitar processing plugin that already works within the GS3 or 4 environment.
    I really appreciate your input, and that is the great thing about these forums, when we all throw in comments, and any one of which can just tip you in the right direction.
    On we go
    Cheers
    Bryan H
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

You should really consider using a Scope 5.0 DSP Professional card if at all possible. I can't stress the quality of the plugs, and the sheer amount of them available for FREE on the DSP forums.

We tried Bass and Guitar plugs and while they sound excellent, we currently use the Bass model only, as our guitarist has an awesome rack mounted Mesa Boogie pre amp that uses 2 x 6" Speakers that sounds excellent. The main reason was his feedback content is really awesome to hear, and the plugs don't allow true feedback, and sound rather lame when it is included. So now we mix the speakers w/ a direct kline in through the FMR Mic Pre. It's beyond what a plug can do. But the Guitar Amp models are numerous and cover many cabinets, amps and styles.

I have used the same cards since 2001 and they were 3 years old then. They have 32 channel GSIF drivers of the 1.7 flavor and Gigastudio / Scope is all I have ever used for the last 7 years, as it replaced so much hardware, from a B3 to an Oberheinm Matrix 12/XPander combo.

Now the company is finally releasing new soundcards and updated software. You must check it out if you are a Giga die hard this is right up your alley. Use a notebook w/ an XITE-1 or a 4U DAW w/ the Pro cards.

You remember the quality of the Liquid Effect I showed you,...that quality is carried over on every level of programming.

You will never need to buy another plug, trust me. There is so much free content available, and the content that comes bundled is phenominal and has matured for 10 years.

These cards and DSP racks will keep Gigastudio alive for years if you want it to. Personally I use Bidule as my host for it's phenominal routing abilities and it plays Gigastudio and Kontackt together very nicely.

First Rule Of Spending .....Why Have 1 Good App, when You can have 2 for twice the cost.

Instead of rambling about DSP here, I invite to go somewhere else and just see the excited people who dwell there. No negativity, just happy creators.

PM me if you have the time. I won't go into further here as this is a great VST place, and DSP forums are elsewhere.
    JimmyV

Thanks again Jimmy,
    The trouble is I use a laptop with an RME Fireface 800, and there is nowhere for the Scope card to live. Does it take up more than one rack space?, because I do have one spare, but then there is the cost that would inevitably need to be passed by my wife ....? ( the ultimate critic)
    I will go and have a look at scope and see whats' what..
    cheers
    Bryan
    Equipment Hardware:
    Sager laptop (Clevo)
    Windows 7 Ultimate SP 1
    RME Fireface 800
    Software:
    Gigastudio 4

The XITE-1 is a 1U design that will ship this month, but the 4 Aussies I chat with say the distrubutors down under are quite greedy.

It is perfect for a notebook, but the drawback is that it's 4 large, and has the fastest DSP's for audio around. A 1U rack is 10 x's more powerful than my current 3 x card designs. But I will run an entire group through it in 5.1 @ 96KHz. That's 4 sets of wireless mic and ear combos's using 3 way stereo drivers, 5 mid field powered cabinets and a Sub. The Guitarist and I are the only ones with small cabinets onstage. His is for realistic feedback and mine is the Rotary cabinet for my B4000.

There's no competition for this, and my entire set up which will be the PA. and Multiracked drums. vocals, automated hardware effects and lights. I do this right now but using an entire 8U rack for the 2 x 4U DAW's. Custom made DSP mixers also serve as the Monitor / FOH duties as I have 2 x KS88's and a Doeprfer Fader Box. I can't be tweaking a multi paged surface controller but this set up provides me with 48 knobs, 44 toggle style buttons and 34 faders. We can fade into songs with the expression pedals while the next song starts up just like a DJ.

I could rave forever but would be more than happy to show you the rack in a few weeks. I've gone from a 28U to an 8U design, all while upgrading the PC and DSP capabilities. It's not cheap, but we aren't one trick Ponies.

I could put you in touch w/ a chap down under who uses Scope cards live, and even arrange for you to hear the beauty and power of a Real Time application, which was designed for Gigastudio and ASIO apps from the ground up.

Just PM me w/ your email address before I offend anyone.

Once you hear the cats down under using this, no doubt you'll hear a Large difference in sound quality. The thing is, they don't advertise, I like that, because the small profits they make don't go to some jive marketing firm.

Just Do It, You'll Thank Me Later.
    JimmyV

Go Back to forum