• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Grand Eureka Moment

Share/Bookmark

The Grand Eureka Moment

Well, I woke up and found the solution to using two keyboards simultaneously and independently, both using GPO organ, with independent voices! Such a simple solution. In Sonar, one is DXi, the other is VSt. This is a much better solution than using GPO and sound fonts, which I find hard to bear.

Two cheap controller keyboards will do just as well a pair of expensive keyboards. I had one expensive keyboard, and one cheap one. For organ applications, I find no difference in performance.

Richard

Re: The Grand Eureka Moment

Just curious, Richard, why do you use two plugin instances? I suppose you have two MIDI tracks; you can assign each keyboards (each on its own MIDI In port) to different tracks and route both tracks to the same plugin instance on two different MIDI channels. You can then load all organ patches in the same plugin instance and assign them to the MIDI channels you chose as the tracks MIDI Out channels. You can also assign them individual audio channels in the Kontakt Player and have these audio channels appear as separate plugin tracks in Sonar, should you prefer so.

Like f.ex:

Keyboard 1 (MIDI port 1) -> Sonar MIDI track 1 -> KontaktPlayer2 1 (GPO patch 1 (MIDI ch. 1; st. 1)) -> Sonar KontaktPlayer2 1 st. 1 track
    Keyboard 2 (MIDI port 2) -> Sonar MIDI track 2 -> KontaktPlayer2 1 (GPO patch 2 (MIDI ch. 2; st. 2)) -> Sonar KontaktPlayer2 1 st. 2 track

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    Just curious, Richard, why do you use two plugin instances? I suppose you have two MIDI tracks; you can assign each keyboards (each on its own MIDI In port) to different tracks and route both tracks to the same plugin instance on two different MIDI channels. You can then load all organ patches in the same plugin instance and assign them to the MIDI channels you chose as the tracks MIDI Out channels. You can also assign them individual audio channels in the Kontakt Player and have these audio channels appear as separate plugin tracks in Sonar, should you prefer so.

Like f.ex:

Keyboard 1 (MIDI port 1) -> Sonar MIDI track 1 -> KontaktPlayer2 1 (GPO patch 1 (MIDI ch. 1; st. 1)) -> Sonar KontaktPlayer2 1 st. 1 track
    Keyboard 2 (MIDI port 2) -> Sonar MIDI track 2 -> KontaktPlayer2 1 (GPO patch 2 (MIDI ch. 2; st. 2)) -> Sonar KontaktPlayer2 1 st. 2 track
    Well, I could not make it work other than as I did. I tried your method first, but without success. Perhaps I overlooked something, which is really quite easy to do. Have you tried it? If so, could you post a screen shot of your track properties and anything pertinent? Since I have a working method, it is not urgent, but would be interesting to see where I failed.

Richard

Alright, here is a screenshot from Sonar 6 - the two yellow MIDI track icons are very important (=Input Echo: On)!:

Well, shucks, Nickie, I don't know why I could not do this before. It works quite correctly now. Thanks!

Now perhaps I will try using the two keyboards for a two piano four hand piece when my friend drops in.

Richard

Go Back to forum