• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Ghosts"

This, one of Phillip McGuffin's original compositions, raised the following comments from Mr. Gary Garritan:

"Thanks for sending your music again. Just superb work you have done. In the meanwhile have you posted in the Listening Room of our forum? I think the other members would very much like to hear your work.

All the best,

"Ghosts" is just one single submission from a collection of entirely original music, each piece with its own entire accompanying musical score. GPO has proven to be the virtual interface allowing any composer to unleash his musical dreams into spectacular epic proportion from every corner of his mind.

Phillip McGuffin

Re: "Ghosts"

Hi Phillip,

Your link is missing the ".com" part.
    I went to your website and found Ghosts.

Here is a link for others:

Listening now!

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Wow, Phillip, great introduction! And welcome!

Starts off very sombre with clear melody lines; very cinematic. Later, the use of the drum set gives the work a more modern "new-age" type feel.

The past, for me, is filled with Ghosts. Old memories - friends ... That's how I interpreted it.

A very emotional and thought provoking work Phillip.
    I know others here on the forum will certainly enjoy. Please feel free to browse around yourself.

Again, Welcome!

For the record, "Ghosts" is about loss. Loss of love, loss of life, loss of ... whatever. The first and second verse are in the key of C; the bridge is the same melody, de-modulated a whole step and in the relative minor key (B flat/Gm). The 'bridge' goes through a series of OBSCURE modulations, then ends up back in C! Voila! Ghosts!

More GPO, at it's finest. Cannot say enough good things about GPO/Gary Garritan. Whatever I dream, he makes available, through his work. Give me the sounds, I'll make the music. Period. Could not do whatever it is that I do without him.

Phillip McGuffin

Oh, OK - sounds good!

Good use of Theory - sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't.
    Again, wonderful music.

BTW, I only use GOS. I'm sure Gary is OK with that.

Very nice indeed. The composition has a very definite
    celtic flavor in my opinion. Nice melody and great

Welcome to the Garritan community. We have a great
    time here and genuinely help each other become better
    at what we do. Sometimes I forget what I do, but no
    problem, that malady doesn't last that long.............lol

Sincerely, nice music and I hope we hear some more soon.

P.S. Do the first three letters of your user name stem
    from using a CME keyboard or am I just fantacizing about
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

A warm welcome to the forum, Phillip!

And an impressive introduction of your work...
    beautifully written, moving music, very well
    executed and rendered.

A real pleasure to the ear, Philip. I look forward
    to hearing much, much more from you!

My best,

David Sosnowski

Quote Originally Posted by Rhap2 View Post
    P.S. Do the first three letters of your user name stem from using a CME keyboard or am I just fantacizing about that?

Thanks for the broad reach into the parallelism of acronyms! The "cme", here, actually stems from the original creation of my fiancé's email address. She has ridden her beloved old 1979 Harley-Davidson for 29 years, and ages ago coined her email address to 'read' as it appears..."c-me-ride-79." Thus, the initial "CME" to which you refer.
    The actual keyboard we use is an M-Audio Keystation 88es...basically unrelated to the 'cme' to which you refer. Thanks for the inquiry, however..an interesting parallel.

Phillip (& Cheryl!)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post
    Hi Phillip,

Your link is missing the ".com" part.
    I went to your website and found Ghosts.

Here is a link for others:

Thank you, Mr. Wiktor, for correcting a foolish mistake. Also, thanks for the comments, as regards my composition(s).

Took a few moments to audition some of your work. In a word, humbling.
    How do you envision your compositions? Do you hear them first, then notate - or vice-versa? Curious?

Often, and in a serendipitous sense, I just start a 'work'. Blank page, no instruments. What happens happens - not to sound sophomoric. I hear music; notating it is truly secondary to me. Oddly enough, and probably without consequence, is the compositonal aspect. I really do get tired of
    the PR aspect, thus the NORTHERNSOUND.NET connection, I suppose.

Phillip McGuffin

If I might make a suggestion...

Edit your first post and add the correct link.

I listened to your other one first and now this one and enjoyed them both.

"Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast