• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: In Memory of John M. Taylor

Orcas Island

In Memory of John M. Taylor

It is with deep regret that we heard about the passing of a well-loved and talented member, John M. Taylor, who died at 2:50 yesterday morning after a difficult struggle with cancer. Many of us on the forum know him as taylorchandler and he was a friend to many.

John MacDonald Taylor was born and raised on a ranch in Casper Wyoming. He began playing trumpet in school and attended North Texas State University in Denton for his Bachelor of Music. John was an outstanding music educator and a consummate musician all his life, learning to play woodwinds, strings and percussion in addition to brass. He discovered his talent for composition and developed his philosophy "you must play an instrument to write for it." He completed a Master of Theory and Composition at the University of Wyoming.

While John enjoyed many careers in his life – musician, educator, aviator, engineer, builder and rancher; his passion was music. Composing, teaching and performing were the true calling of a life filled with learning and exploration. He explored many parts of the country to add to his experience of life while participating in many communities.

John told me he enjoyed being a part of our online community and regarded the members of the forum as friends. Whether he was helping others understand music better, offering insightful comments on another member's music, sharing his good nature on chat, imparting his knowledge, helping someone with a problem, or sharing a composition: John was always there to help and gave freely of himself and was a great resource for many.

Shortly before his passing, John left us a wonderful song "Journey" with the knowledge that his earthly journey was coming to an end: http://www.dankury.com/music/JourneyJohnMTaylor.mp3
    Dan’s rendering of Journey will be used during the annual hospice memorial and remembrance service in Bolivar, MO later this year.

Although no date for a memorial service has been made yet, the family asks that each individual honor John’s memory in their own way. Contributions to any organizations that promote and support music education and performance or to hospice providers would be appreciated. John's hospice services were provided by Citizens Memorial Hospice, 1500 N Oakland Ave, Bolivar MO 65613-9988.

Our deepest and heartfelt condolences to Robin, John's family, friends and loved ones.

John was a special person who touched the lives of many people. We have all lost a valuable member of our community.

Thank you John for gracing us all with your music and your life.

With gratitude,

Gary Garritan

Re: In Memory of John M. Taylor

Very nice Gary,
    amazing accomplishments he made.

Thank you for posting this.

Robin, I am praying for your strength in the days ahead.

Very upsetting, indeed. I only wish I knew him more. I wish the Taylor family my best for what it's worth, and as I am not very good with words, I'll leave it at that.

My regards,

Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Gracious and amazing as always, Gary. Such a wonderful
    and touching memorial for one of our members.

And Dan, we all owe you a special debt of gratitude
    for arranging John's "Journey." How special that was
    and how timely your reaction became. Because of
    you, John's "Journey" will be heard professionally rendered
    by many, many people.

It is uncanny to think of how genuine and timely your
    gift to John was........not ever really knowing that his journey
    would be curtailed in such a short time.

I know I speak for many when I say, "Thank you, Mr. Dan
    Kury" for your generosity and professionalism in regard
    to John's composition. Your humanitarianism outshines your
    audio engineering talents (if that is possible).
    Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

The only appropriate thing to say is that my prayers are with his family and dear friends.

Our prayers and condolences to the family.

Rest in peace, John...

Our best,

David & Catherine

When I heard of John's passing, I was immediately saddened. I then decided to look at the impact he had on this community. After looking through his last posts, I realized that he did not leave us depressed. He did not leave us saddened. He did not leave us with hints towards his health. He left us with posts that portray happiness and joy. His last post praised a piece of music in the listening room. His second to last post wished Gary a "Hippo Birdie" in Gary's Birthday thread. He even left many of us on here and I with suggestions for improving our music.

John was a great influence on our community. He will be remembered.

May he rest in peace.

My condolences to his family.

Colton Provias
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Thanks, Gary for reminding us of how mortal we all are. John's music and inspiration will always be a mainstay in my life and I will always remember the chats and wonderful interaction on the forum with John. God bless his family and the music and love of it he has presented to us.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

West Seneca, NY

Sad for sure John was called home so early. His music will carry the spirit of his life for many to hear always.

I chose to think of John being with the great composers collaborating on new grand composition for the heavens to sing.

Our prayers go out to his family and friends.

very nice observation,

Go Back to forum